If You’re New Here

Thx all, I’m thinking of keeping it small due to space constraints as well as the possibility of a future move, so likely 30gal or less.

Thx all, I’m thinking of keeping it small due to space constraints as well as the possibility of a future move, so likely 30gal or less.
If I might, and you’re wanting to stay small, an idea small/medium reef is a 40 Breeder.

Hello All. I've been out of the Reef game for the last 10 yrs. I decided to jump back in because my life is just not hectic enough lol. It seems that everything I thought i knew about reef keeping has changed. A few questions. I am setting up a Cad Lights AIO 8 gallon. I have about a 1.5 inch sand bed using live sand. I purchased 6lbs of live rock from my LSF that was in water circulating through their system. Am I going to go through the same cycle that I did in the past? Second, looking to update the old stock light. Keeping with a budget, I am looking at a NICREW 50 Watt light. The tank is 12*12*13, is this too much , not enough or just garbage. Appreciate the help.

Hello All. I've been out of the Reef game for the last 10 yrs. I decided to jump back in because my life is just not hectic enough lol. It seems that everything I thought i knew about reef keeping has changed. A few questions. I am setting up a Cad Lights AIO 8 gallon. I have about a 1.5 inch sand bed using live sand. I purchased 6lbs of live rock from my LSF that was in water circulating through their system. Am I going to go through the same cycle that I did in the past? Second, looking to update the old stock light. Keeping with a budget, I am looking at a NICREW 50 Watt light. The tank is 12*12*13, is this too much , not enough or just garbage. Appreciate the help.
Welcome back, you might want to start a new thread in the Reef Discussion forum so your questions don't get lost in this, "Introduce Yourself" thread ;)

Regarding the cycle, it would really depend on how long the LFS had the rock cycling and how long it was out of water from the LFS to your tank. If it was cycling at the LFS for a while and it wasn't out of water too long between there and your tank you shouldn't have much of a cycle at all.

I won't touch the question regarding the lights as I'm an old school reefer who's still using MH. Although I did modernize a bit by supplementing he MH with LED actinics.

Thank you Griss. They have been in the water at the LFS for a while and only out for about 40 mins in a cooler with a little water. I'll repost the light question lol

I had a 50-gallon many years past. A lot has changed since then; live coral for one, prices for another. Also, a large selection of fish. Back then there were really only 3 Clownfish to choose from. I have a 29-gallon saltwater tank with just a few live corals in it. I guess I have a diatom film all over my coral. Is that bad? Also, one of my coral has turned from green to yellow. I bought 5 coral and I'd say 4 lived. One died but I see numerous "sprouts" all around it. I'm cautious not to add fish until the coral looks more accumulated. Question do I run just blue light only to help the corals grow?

I had a 50-gallon many years past. A lot has changed since then; live coral for one, prices for another. Also, a large selection of fish. Back then there were really only 3 Clownfish to choose from. I have a 29-gallon saltwater tank with just a few live corals in it. I guess I have a diatom film all over my coral. Is that bad? Also, one of my coral has turned from green to yellow. I bought 5 coral and I'd say 4 lived. One died but I see numerous "sprouts" all around it. I'm cautious not to add fish until the coral looks more accumulated. Question do I run just blue light only to help the corals grow?

Mike, I would start a new thread in, “Reef Disussion” forum with your questions. You’ll get more responses than you will in this introduction thread😊

I was here in something like 2008-2010 probably. Memory is shot. I probably had a 30 cube then. I have kept fish since 1984 and got my first saltwater tank in 2007.

Back