If you build it...They will come... 120 gal. New Build

Tagging along - looks like this is going to be a great setup! Amazing zoanthids you got on that rock.

After setting the tank up, I tested the water every 2 days for the first 2 weeks, then every 4 days for the next two weeks. Every test result was the same: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, calcium 440, phosphates 0, temp stabilized at 78.4 - 80.1. This was even after adding the deli shrimp on day 2, which promptly disappeared. I put in a food cube to find out where it went.
This was cool...
IMG_1500.jpg

Bristleworms! When we were cleaning out the sump, before setting up the system, there were a bunch of dead bristleworms in there. I commented to my husband about them, but neglected to tell him that they sting. Several hours after cleaning, he was complaining about it feeling like needles were poking him in his fingers. I said, I told you there were bristleworms in there, why do you think I bought the gloves. I guess I forgot to tell him to wear them!

Anyhow, the sand bed is in. I used the Inland Aquatics deep sand bed formula for the DT and a mix of oolite and special reef grade for the refugium. Then I ordered both the detrivore, flora and fauna kits to get everything seeded properly. I really like how my refugium looks now. It's been a couple of weeks now and the macros are taking off, and my sand bed is starting to look like it's crawling first thing in the morning.
IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

Back