I'm planning a trip to the carribean

I've also been on a boat when we had to call coast guard for a missing diver. He mad a bad choice. The difference between where he ended up (1.5 miles north of us in the pacific) and where I ended up (on the boat) was a 15 degree swimming angle difference. My training told me how to modify my plan underwater so that I could make it where I needed to go. He didn't modify but he was ok and I'm sure spending an hour drifting in the pacific in 5 foot seas was a lesson learned.

I assume this was a drift dive. Where in the Pacific was this?

Back wall drift on the Molokini Crater in Maui.

Current shifted half way through the dive and I needed to come up a bit due to dec limit and got sucked into a crazy strong current.

Someone had a banana on the boat :(

Back wall of Molokini is one of my all time favorite dives :)

BTW, it's not the bananas themselves that are bad luck, it's the pesky banana spiders :eek1:

Please get yourself certified at home, or at least the classroom and pool at home and the open waters somewhere nice. SCUBA is fun, but is very dangerous if not properly trained and equipped. Do yourself, the boat, and your dive buddies a favour and be a safe as possible. You don't want to be the missing diver because a half-@$$ instructor in the Caribbean is ok with throwing you in the water after an hour going over the basics of the gear. :fish2: :lol2:

Please get yourself certified at home, or at least the classroom and pool at home and the open waters somewhere nice. SCUBA is fun, but is very dangerous if not properly trained and equipped. Do yourself, the boat, and your dive buddies a favour and be a safe as possible. You don't want to be the missing diver because a half-@$$ instructor in the Caribbean is ok with throwing you in the water after an hour going over the basics of the gear. :fish2: :lol2:

This.

I like the outer reef inside the crater, myself. The back wall is cool, but it pales in comparison to the wall dives in Grand Cayman IMO.

The reef around the inside of the crater is indeed a good dive. Caymans are my favorite. The walls on the Brac and Little Cayman are even better than Grand Cayman wall. The sister islands being off the beaten track have reduced fishing pressure, so even more fish and bigger fish :)

Molokini is an awesome dive regardless where you are. I really like sitting on the edge of the shelf and waiting to see what swims by in the deep blue. I was stoked to do the back side and I gotta say my first drift dive was exciting :)!

Back