I'm proof you can run a reef 1.028

Fish559

So I've had this old crappy refractometer that I never calibrated. I could barely read the thing. Looked like 1.026 to me...

So I pulled the plug on a Milwaukee digital reader.

1.028! Yikes!

Had to add quite a bit of fresh water to get it down to 1.026.

Glad I bought it...

I don't react if I'm anywhere between 1.024-1.030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are a very relaxed dude & probably sleep a LOT better then i do LOL, i fret if my salinity varies more then 1 point.

You are a very relaxed dude & probably sleep a LOT better then i do LOL, i fret if my salinity varies more then 1 point.
Salinity is among the last things I worry about. In the wild it can vary several points throughout the day. Depending where on the reef you are or at which depths.
And variations in tide pools can be massive and the of those inhabitants barely care.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've tested my display salinity probably twice in the last calendar year lol. I don't even test the salinity of the new water for water changes outside of the first mix up from a new batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly not a major issue to get salinity spot on anyway for me its so easy to just get such a small amount of water 2gal right by just going by the 1/2 cup rule for myself (tho still double checking salinity with the trusty refractometer) & assuring im always topping off evap ea. day, it never sways. I can understand on systems of larger amounts & yea i know salinity varies greatly in the wild. Id be lazy tho to let my nano prams vary wildly since the effects are greater in small systems. I only test everything else 1 time a month and nothing has ever varied using Reef salt mix. I prefer stability on all the elements all the time part of the fun of keeping water spot on. However if you saw my work truck you would say yep, he surly is not anal retentive tho. LOL.

I would double check the Milwaukee with a friends tank water. They are notorious for showing .002 higher than your actual salinity. You could have just potentially lowered your salinity to 1.024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back