I'm terrible at taking pictures...please help

Octoberfest

Not sure if I should post this here but hopefully I'm on the right track.

I've noticed some great pictures on this site and was hoping to get some of my tank that are even half as good. The problem is I have no idea how to use my camera. I know it's more than likely not the best camera out there but it's not the worst either.

here is a link to the camera I have

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/ep...dbid=789907&urltype=overview&NavBarId=I789907

What I've been doing is setting it to auto and then using the Marco option but one of two things will always happen.
1. If I use the flash the pictures make everything look dark and not at all what the tank really looks like as well as reflect off of everything.

2. If I don't use the flash the shutter stays open too long, even with the tank lights on and the fish end up looking like a blurr.

Here are a couple that I've gotten so far.

damsletang.jpg

CBS2.jpg

percs.jpg

ihaveafriend.jpg

the majority of the time this is how they turn out though as far as the fish being a blurr.
tankpana.jpg

Ive got the E-500 and can't get good pictures either. The E510 is also not very good. They aren't the best for action pictures. It would be like trying to take pictures at a football game with a disposable camera. I kinda gave up on my e500 and now use a Minolta Maxxum 600si.

here are a few QUICK pointers:

make sure glass is clean

turn off powerheads/filters

try to take pics with the subject STILL

take lots and lots of pictures because you need to take lots and lots of pics

try going to www.dpreview.com and go to fuji forums and see how these owners of your camera deal with certain action situations...there may be some pearls that can help

But keep going at it!
goodluck!!

jamie

Set camera to manual. The apreture to as low as it will go F/2.8, the shutter speed to 1/60th and the ISO as high as it will go 800. That will try to stop the movement while still giving you decent exposure to start with. You may have to reduce the noise at high ISO though.

Back