In a pickel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mickela

:mad2: Ok about 3-4 years ago I bought qa 46 gallon bowfront tank from the local lfs.Here's the problem...my halides melted the center brace which has broke all the way through...called the lfs and they said they would order a new rim for me well they called yesterday and said they longer make this item.Anyone who has any ideas I would muchhhhhhhhhh greatful.I dont want to replace this tank as it costed a small fortune (like 600-700)

How much of the center brace is left?
It is possible to fix....as long as you have about 2-3" of brace left on each side.
Geo

it warped before it finally broke.only about 6 inches are ruined and it's in the center of the brace.I read somewhere someone used another piece of plastic and screwed it to what was left of the brace on each side.maybe it's just the thought of messing with my tank in any way that worries me.I've broke one and it wasnt pretty!

just replace the brace with a piece of acrylic. Nate had done it on his 65g. get a few nylon bolts from lowes and have them cut a piece of the thick acrylic to length and width. get a sharp new drill bit. go slow and place on a block of wood so you can go all the way thru. leave about 3 inch on each side of the brace and drill thru the brace. put the nylon screws in and walla new clear, non light blocking brace that wont break or melt.

I will definatily give this a try.The old man is home today so I'll let him do it so if it breaks I wont get hollered at :)

Here is what I did and it works great!

20070515_new_center_bracel.jpg

20070515_brace_holesl.jpg

20070515_brace_clampsl.jpg

20070515_brace_installl.jpg

Good luck!

Already did this now we'll cross our fingers that it holds.We left the old piece in place and screwed the new piece to where the old piece was still good.
THANK YOU to everyone who helped with this your all life savers!

Thanks mine looks like Nates fix job only I left the whole brace because only about 3" were ruined and I was to chicken to cut out the bad.
Thanks I think Walley (my angler) is pretty cool myself

Back