In dire need of help

there are some diseases that can look bruisy
uronema kills quickly, and looks like this
IMG_2789_zps7f9f45a5.jpg

HLLE in tangs takes longer and the fish appear sick for a while, it looks like this
hlle_1.jpg

I use an app on my phone to look at the tank at night. I thought the one I got was free, but this one is 99c https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astronomy-flashlight/id301350393?mt=8
IIRC cardinals don't sleep in the rocks like some of the dead fish so that might be the difference why a predator couldn't get them. It wouldn't explain the coral except that dead fish will foul the water.

Carbon is probably a great idea, there is also a product called polyfilter that is a pad that changes color to identify different contaminants.

Good Luck!

The bruises definitely just looked a white grey, I've seen them on a few of the larger dead fish but that's about it. I top up the water with tap water I add prime to. I'd love a rodi system cause they just seem awesome but that this point it's just too expensive and the purpose does not outweigh the price especially buying salt mixes etc
Oh and my dads super into stargazing so most of our torches have red cellophane on them.

if you're using tap water id bet that's why the fish are dying. there are so many unknowns with city plumbing.

No cleanup crew whatsoever and most of the fish are completely disappearing? This has to be a predator. There's really no other explanation that makes sense.

Certainly hope the OP doesn't give up. The tank looks good, certainly better than a lot of hobbyists.

My tank - similar sized to the OPs had some fish just "vanish" too. Turns out I had a hitchhiking mantis an a hitchhiking xanthid crab (floral something or other). First time I ever saw the mantis was easily 9 months into setup. The crab more like 18mo. Only ever saw them a couple of times. I suspect a hitchhiking mantis. Ever hear any clicking noises? Even if you only hear once, think mantis.

Pics of my hitchikers in 6' tank after catching them:

i-mJQ6qfG-L.jpg

i-TBSS3Tz-L.jpg

Catching them is hard. Some have success with traps, others take rockwork out sytematically and dip to force the critters out. Plan on spending one whole day. Hopefully your parents can learn to enjoy the hobby with you. Mine love to watch the tank...

-droog

One more thing: do buy the cleanup crew. Can get them online, but "too expensive where I live" is not a good excuse. If you can afford the tank you can afford the CUC.

Similarly, get an RODI unit. Its not an optional extra, its a mandatory piece of equipment. Ask santa for one. They do take up space but there are ways... in the garage, bathroom, laundry room. Mine is on a "T" junction on the plumbing that supplies the washing machine. It feeds into a bucket with float switch that switches the unit off automatically so I always have enough 0 TDS water to do a 30% PWC.
Many people hide their RODI unit in the cupboard under a sink in the kitchen or bathroom.

Setting up is a PITA first time. But in the long run its much easier than having to run out and buy salt water from the store. That gets old quick.

My advice: make your own water. Buy your dry goods online and have them shipped. Save LFS visits for shopping trips to look at and buy corals and fish. Then the visits are fun.

This is a time consuming hobby though. If your parents support you it can be good fun for everyone. If they can't or won't support you, you might want to consider a different hobby. Is is just a hobby after all; real life and family relationships are more important.

-droog

What I'm most concerned about is one particular octopus called the blue ringed octopus. Very common in Australia and very small but deadly. These guy's are very beautiful but again very deadly and tiny. Here is some reading material on them. There is also a reefer that lives in Western Aus that possibly had one in his tank and he collects his rocks and corals himself. Sadly he only saw the small octopus in his tank once and never saw it again. They can climb out of a tank and will if it's not covered.

Here is the link to the guy here on RC that possibly has one
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2492109

Here is a video from Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJb9WdmljY8

And some reading info
http://www.aims.gov.au/docs/projectnet/blue-ringed-octopus.html

images

Yeah they actually teach us in first aid how to treat blue ringed octopi here :p they're only a few centimetres usually... Catching one would not be fun but I'll do whatever it takes
Also I would love a rodi system but it's on an option now as I've said. I have to buy my water as it is so much cheaper than mixing it. I use tap water for all my other tanks (8 tanks 2 ponds) never had a problem with its water quality.
Also yes, I do hear clicking... I always just assumed it was a heater or the floating thermometer... But the more I think about it the less I think it could be........ I start holidays on Wednesday I will spend my holidays fixing my tank! I will pester about a rodi system but I don't know how far I'll get.
As for a clean up crew I can try... They're so costly here. Inverts can't be imported, it's illegal to ship fish online unless they're via courier so it can't really be bought online here. A simple turbo is $20 and they generally don't last too long. I do have one in my tank that's doing well though. Cleaner shrimp are $300. It's ridiculous. Crabs are expensive too. But guys if you can help me I'd appreciate cheap suggestions of clean up crews, I can tell you how much they cost here and see if it's viable. Definitely I'll try and push for it after I get rid of whatever it is in the tank...

I mean, a CUC is good for eating algae and pooping it somewhere else, or eating dead fish and pooping them someplace else. I wouldn't break the bank over it.
Lot's of reefers have good luck breeding ceriths and trochus, so maybe invest in a few of them and see how it goes. Hey, if you make it work you could sell them and buy all kinds of stuff for your tank!

If you hear clicking then I would definitely lean towards a mantis or pistol shrimp. Observe your tank more when you have the free time, especially around feeding time, mantis are quite brave and they may venture out for food.

Hey now...don't bring pistols to this mantis fight. A pistol isn't going to be killing all these fish. Maybe some of your smaller inverts...

Hey now...don't bring pistols to this mantis fight. A pistol isn't going to be killing all these fish. Maybe some of your smaller inverts...

Yea if its a pistol definitely leave him be, maybe even add a goby for him to hang with. But if it is a shrimp you find it will 100% be a mantis thats killing your fish, in which case removal is recommended.

I don't have any photographs I buried the fish. It looked a bit browish-grey on the tang and went over its eye too. None of the other fish showed bruises. Most of my fish just completely vanish, only the big ones leave bodies. All my fish come from the lfs that comes from cairns marine suppliers. I don't quarantine and always acclimate my fish the same way. I supplement my fish food with garlic. They don't have velvet or a bacterial disease. They're perfectly fine one day and dead the next no symptoms.

Wow, this thread is all over the place???

How do you know it's not velvet? Velvet can kill quite rapidly and the symptoms might only be some blotchiness, and labored breathing which would appear pretty normal if that's what all the fish are doing. Also a marine tank can digest your typical dead fish pretty darn quickly.

Wow, this thread is all over the place???

How do you know it's not velvet? Velvet can kill quite rapidly and the symptoms might only be some blotchiness, and labored breathing which would appear pretty normal if that's what all the fish are doing. Also a marine tank can digest your typical dead fish pretty darn quickly.

Because OP said he hears clicking in the tank, which is the only significant lead we have so far.

I would agree on a mantis hiding in there somewhere I can't see a pistol taking out the bigger fish that easy.

I use to have clicking in my system I tried everything to find it but I got dinoflagellate algae and dosed Algae X which kills the algae and will also kill inverts if they are not removed during treatment needless to say after treatment no more clicking has ever been heard.

Yeah, when I'm at uni I'm gonna study marine science and learn to breed cleaner shrimp and get rich! But my algae and all that is kept at bay, I'm a very vigilant cleaner with my tank (the photo doesn't show it too well as I've had end of year exams etc but it usually is pretty spotless)
I told my dad about the mantis and he's flipped out. Wants me to soak all the rocks and sand in water (he suggested a poison too but um no) for days and kill everything then remove everything dead and return it. The other option is to replace the rocks but that's expensive and always a chance of getting another. Anyone know how to catch them? It'll be much appreciated. :) I'll probably do dips again when school breaks up but I'm not soaking the rocks. Is there anything other than fresh water you recommend dipping rocks in? I don't want to loose my macro algaes or hitchhiker sponges but I'll do what must be done.

Also ah! That's such a good idea... I could house my corals at my lfs and dose with something to kill inverts? I have no shrimp (so bloody expensive ;-; ) I do really like my little hitchhiker sponges but I could just buy another rock with them on it or take that rock out. Also I don't think it's velvet as my water quality is fairly good and my big fish are showing no signs of any disease. I wouldn't rule it out but it seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Yea if its a pistol definitely leave him be, maybe even add a goby for him to hang with. But if it is a shrimp you find it will 100% be a mantis thats killing your fish, in which case removal is recommended.

A) yes. A pistol/goby pair is one of the amazing natural things that enraptures both us reefers and our audiences. I had a goby hanging with my pistol until it defenestrated itself as most gobies eventually do in a rimless tank :(

B) I'd be shocked if even a mantis was burning through this many larger fish at this rate (and not eating at least parts of the bodies).

I think we need to keep thinking about other culprits. Sadly, I don't have other theories.

Yeah, when I'm at uni I'm gonna study marine science and learn to breed cleaner shrimp and get rich! But my algae and all that is kept at bay, I'm a very vigilant cleaner with my tank (the photo doesn't show it too well as I've had end of year exams etc but it usually is pretty spotless)
I told my dad about the mantis and he's flipped out. Wants me to soak all the rocks and sand in water (he suggested a poison too but um no) for days and kill everything then remove everything dead and return it. The other option is to replace the rocks but that's expensive and always a chance of getting another. Anyone know how to catch them? It'll be much appreciated. :) I'll probably do dips again when school breaks up but I'm not soaking the rocks. Is there anything other than fresh water you recommend dipping rocks in? I don't want to loose my macro algaes or hitchhiker sponges but I'll do what must be done.

Also ah! That's such a good idea... I could house my corals at my lfs and dose with something to kill inverts? I have no shrimp (so bloody expensive ;-; ) I do really like my little hitchhiker sponges but I could just buy another rock with them on it or take that rock out. Also I don't think it's velvet as my water quality is fairly good and my big fish are showing no signs of any disease. I wouldn't rule it out but it seems unlikely.

I caught the mantis in my tank (hitchhiker from day 1) by taking out all the LR and dipping in FW. Don't soak them or you'll kill things and start another cycle.

Where are you based? Maybe there will be a way to get you inverts. Hopefully there are other reefers in-country that can help you.

-droog

Back