info for new mangrove........

Thats a REALLY NICE TANK!

how long has your tank been up for?
Also, this is a strange quesion but do you have problems with cyanobacteria and or Nitrate problems?

I know this is a little bit off the subject but,
what are the dementions of your sump and where are the intake/ outtake pipes positioned? that sump of yours look really cool!
(make me want to build one to)

thanks,

B.J.

:)

it has been set up almost a year,,, just moved to Florida,, no I never had a problem with cyanobacteria and or Nitrate problems? I only keep 4 small fish and a few dwarf seahorse in the refugium, fish cause problems ,,,
try increase your flow ,, flow is very very important if you cant see your water and animals moving around you don't have enough water movement
I have 3000 in a 120

cyanobacteria will not do well with high water movement also make sure your making your own R.O-D.I water and not buying it from your pet store. They never change filters enough
for nitrate how long has tank been running I have a feeling you have to many fish or have lost to many fish in the tank
make sure you have a brittle star to make sure dead things get eaten
hope this helps

the sump is 36 " long 20 tall 20 wide
i built that as well huge ha
thats where my live sand, macro algea,, mangroves is ,and just all kinds of stuff
it is so lively in there

okay, heres my list of fish in my180 gallon tank:
1x sailfintang
1x Foxface
1x Green Chromis
1x Copperband butterfly
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Royal Gramma
1x Purple Pseudochromis

I do use an RO DI system when I change my wate in the tank.

The tank itself has been setup for about three years and has been doing awsome until now. I think it might be caused by the 6" DSP it must have somehow crashed.

and thus, what gets us back to the topic do you think that given the right conditions that mangroves along with macro algaes will help reduce the amount of nitrates in the tank along with waterchanges.

heres a picture of my tank and my sump. See what you think about it.

B.J.
:)

well they do a good job its just they have to be growing and there before you have the nitrate problem
if you add them know thats ok but it will not lower your nirate levels
you will have to do that with water changes
also for a 180 i noticed a berlin skimmer i hate to tell you this but for a 180 reef you need a higher end skimmer
i built mine like the euro reef if not better. it dosent look like it but sucks the bubbles in the pump impeller no need for the neddle wheel works great
under 100 with pump
i have a alot of macro i throw away you want some
here is the skimmer in testeing stage

so, your thinking its a skimmer problem then?
Ya know a the weird thing is that before all of my macroalgaes died I had no Cyanobacteria. and now that its gone well, I have it now. heres a piture of the same tank before all this happend.

well i dont think it is a major problem but when your macro algea died a higher end skimmer would have removed the phosphates from the water. thats why you have the cyno i am guessing
the only macro i like is the feather macro
the grape macro always seems to die for some unkown reason,
one day healthy next day dead

i didnt see the pic

Back