Ink Question


New member
Hi Guys,

Ive had an octopuss in the tank for a couple of weeks. and hes being re housed. Before i move any fish and sea horses into this tank i want to know if its safe.

When i went to catch him, he let out a small cloud of ink..
Its a 40gal tank with no skimmer.
How much of a water change do i need to do to be on the safe side?


The bottom line is that we know very little about the toxicity of ink. In some species, it is clearly toxic to fish. In others, perhaps not. From my experience, it is always a good idea to do a water change after an inking episode. I usually do at least 50% and rely on the skimmer to remove the rest. However, I should also point out that ink does not seem to remain toxic for very long. My guess is that after a couple of weeks, the ink is probably denatured and things will be fine.