Introducing another GS Maroon Clownfish

helitaiwan963

Hey guys,

I have a question. I had a pair of pretty young GS maroon clownfish in my 75gal. By young, i mean they haven't even gotten their Gold stripes in yet. Well when my parents when on vacation, they left my sister to feed the fish and care for the tank (i didn't cuz i'm in college at another state)...

Anyway, when my parents got back, they noticed one of my clownfish gone... It's been a week and it still hasn't showed up. Well, I'd still like a pair of clownfish so I'm wondering how I should go about introducing another GS maroon into the tank?

Since the one that's been in the tank already for awhile, should I be looking to buy a larger GS maroon so the one that's in the tank now won't get too aggressive towards it? That's what makes sense in my head but I'm not sure at all so I thought i'd post on here to get advice.

Thanks
Eric

How long has the clown been alone? To be safe, I'd try to find a smaller clown. Yours may be turning female. If you add a larger fish, it too is likely to be female, and they would fight. A smaller fish is more likely to be male. When introducing maroons, it's a good idea to use an acclimation chamber like this.
acclimationchamber002edited.jpg

hmm... interesting... I may have to try that when i introduce a new one.

My maroon has been alone about 2 weeks tops. The maroon is really only about barely 2"... so I'm not sure if i can find an even smaller one?

Thanks
Eric

sorry about the clownfish. i don't know much about maroon nature, but when one of my occelaris clowns died, the other one turned female. i think it was because clownfish go from males at young to females. the one you have now must be female, because it is now dominant. i added a small unchanged occelaris and they became pair again. maybe that will happen to maroons too?

Look around your tank and make sure the other clown is gone for sure...i just took down a shelving unit next to my tank and found the 2 missing puffer fish i'd been looking for. I added a amroon clown(white striped) to my tank and the next day it was sharing a BTA with my 4 year old maroon. They still are sharing it. i hope to see eggs soon. The one I had was over 3' and the ne i added was just over an inch. it took less than 24 hours for them to find each other but i think I got lucky. Am enjoying watching the big one feed the Nem... It brings back big pieces of flake and gives them to the nem

when you do add your new fish, its pretty helpful to move one or two pieces of rock around if you can, it will help your current fish with the addition...kinda like a reset button...gl

Thanks! I'm hoping it doesn't get aggressive at all... according to my parents, it just swims around a lot and sleeps on a single rock now... for some reason my BTA was gone as well when they got home... I still have no idea where it went... if it died, i'd imagine my tank would've been nuked... maybe it just decided to pick up and move

Back