Six line wrasse in a 24g cube

BuckeyeFish

Hi all,

I have a two week old 24g cube. I bypassed the natural cycle by adding plenty of “trusted” seeded media and Dr Tim’s. I am a chemistry phD student so I track the water parameters like a hawk. It’s fun for me lol.

I currently have a pair of skunk clowns, some hermits and some astrea snails. The only other fish I absolutely want to add are some sort of goby and shrimp pair as well as the six line. As far as coral, it will be LPS dominated.

I know six lines are territorial, but how do you think it will do in this environment?

First, you weirdo Chem student😂🤣. Just kidding my BIL is an Organic Chem professor at Loyola New Orleans.

I thinks the Six Line will be fine in your tank. That said, keep in mind so wrasses will go after shrimp like cleaners, peppermints, etc. Your pistol shrimp should be fine.

FWIW, my local Petco has had a six line for a couple months. Every time I go in, I’m tempted to buy him😂

FWIW, my local Petco has had a six line for a couple months. Every time I go in, I’m tempted to buy him😂
I feel that. They are a really stunning fish. I've been told my six line should be the last fish I add. Otherwise, it will be a dick to any fish that comes after it.

I think the Six Line will be fine in your tank. That said, keep in mind so wrasses will go after shrimp like cleaners, peppermints, etc. Your pistol shrimp should be fine.
After rethinking this, I’m going to correct myself and say a Six Line is probably pushing it in that size tank. Most places recommend a minimum 55 gallon for them.

I’d say go for it…with a caveat. They are great fish, and don’t get very big. However, as others have mentioned, they are usually suggested for larger tanks because they will absolutely clean out every single copepod and amphipod in no time. Having said that, you can buy pods. Same goes for a mandarin…they’re typically not recommended for small tanks because they’ll quickly deplete the pod population and ultimately starve to death. If you’re willing to replenish the pods occasionally, then go for it!

Hi all,

I have a two week old 24g cube. I bypassed the natural cycle by adding plenty of “trusted” seeded media and Dr Tim’s. I am a chemistry phD student so I track the water parameters like a hawk. It’s fun for me lol.

I currently have a pair of skunk clowns, some hermits and some astrea snails. The only other fish I absolutely want to add are some sort of goby and shrimp pair as well as the six line. As far as coral, it will be LPS dominated.

I know six lines are territorial, but how do you think it will do in this environment?
Hey there,

First off, congrats on setting up your 24g cube! Bypassing the natural cycle with seeded media and Dr. Tim's is a smart move, especially given your background in chemistry. Monitoring those water parameters like a hawk (or should I say, like a chemistry PhD student? 😄) sounds like the perfect mix of science and hobby.

Your current setup with the skunk clowns, hermits, and astrea snails sounds like a serene underwater community. Adding a goby and shrimp pair, plus the six line, will definitely bring more life and dynamics to your tank. As for the six line's territorial behavior, in a well-structured tank with enough hiding spots and territory, they usually adapt quite well. Just keep an eye on the interactions at the beginning.

When it comes to corals, going for LPS dominance will create a stunning display. It's like choosing the right accessories for an outfit, you know? Speaking of which, I saw someone rocking some white boots the other day, and it got me thinking about how even the simplest additions can totally transform a look, or in your case, an aquarium.

Back