Is a controller necessary?

Neptune is only one of the companies that are moving into alkalinity testing and as much as I like their products the trident "prospectively" isn't the best one out there.
ghl unveiled their own alkalinity test that I got the chance to check out at macna 2017 but it also includes the benefit of intervention. what this means is that instead of just a notification that the alk is off, ghl's unit measures and CORRECTS its findings. if it works as designed this means that your stability would be rock solid continuously. if I remember correctly the requirement is owning either a ghl controller or a programmable ghl doser.
regardless of which unit suits the consumer it pays to understand that these tests aren't without maintenance. they all require reagents for the titration tests which I'm sure aren't cheap.
pretty cool to see where the hobby is going regardless.

I believe this to be incorrect. Trident attached to the controller will give you the ability to adjust things like dosing to maintain target numbers.

just as with any tech, a controller can be helpful, or it can cause damage if not used properly. it is not exactly idiot proof (nothing is).

A basic controller provides some essential tank components (IMO) in an "all in one" package, such as a timer, heater controller, and simply an adequate plug bar.

So, the way I look at it, I could buy a timer, heater controller, and plug bar separately, but I would probably already be ~1/2 way to a basic controller with a solution that is less "clean"; a basic controller would give extra (pH probe, tons of timer slots, programming options for dosers etc..) that I feel make life easier. And then of course the skys the limit almost from there (i.e. Trident soon etc..)

You don't have to get the latest and greatest, unless you want it. IMO a simple controller is worth it since you will be spending some cash on some of the functionality it provides anyway. I have a 10 year old AC Jr. and it works well for the basics.

For me, yes it's necessary.
Without it, I wouldn't be doing enough water changes, my parameters wouldn't be as consistent, and I wouldn't have the peace of mind.

Back