Is it too late to acid wash base rock?

dumpsta

About a year ago I started my saltwater tank.

My tank:
29 gallon regular
5 gallon bucket sump
protein skimmer SCA 301
2-3 inches of reef sand
(2) 30" HO T5 bulbs, actinic and white (forgot wavelength)
30 lb of Caribsea base rock
Instant ocean salt mix
I use RODI water

Inhabitants:
2 clown fish, 1 chromis, 1 watchman goby, 2 peppermint shimp, 1 snail, few corals frags, torch, bubble, xenia, candycane, as well as a bunch that have since died off.

I have always had algae problems, even when feeding very sparingly. Ive had at at least 8-10 snails die, which probably contributed to the problem. Fish have always been fine. Maybe last late summer, I stopped buying more corals to let my tank "stabilize", plus I was tired of wasting money.

Last few months, I been trying to correct this problem. Weekly 5 gallon water changes, turkey basting detritus off rocks and sand, etc. I bought phosphorus RX a year ago, and I'm hesitant on using it regularly. I recently bought phosguard and have been using about 2 tablespoons every week. I was considering GFO, but it seemed like a hassle compared to phosguard.

I think I need to do something with my rocks. I have 1 piece of real live rock and it has no algae on it. All of my other rocks are green on the surface where the light shines. I read that these types of rocks leach phosphates. I do not have an accurate phosphate test. My api kit shows near 0 phosphates, but who knows. My alkalinity is fairly constant at 8.

Anyway, I have about 8-10 softball to honeydew sized rocks. Do you think it's a good idea to acid wash some of these rocks in rotation?

Thanks

nitrate results?
Picture of issue (green rocks/algae problem) ?

There is NO reason to acid wash them IMO..

The fact that you can't seem to keep corals alive is concerning... How are they dying? specifics on that would help.. bleaching? tissue loss? browning?

How high are the lights off the tank (height from water surface to bulb?) and what are the dimensions of said tank..?

I would double check your PO4 level. Unless it is reall high, I would not pull any of the rocks out. If it indeed high (i.e. >1 ppm), then you may want to consider pulling them out and treating them with LaCl3 (Phosfree), which you can get at any pool supply store. This method can allow the rock to stay "live".

Ummm. You've bought removers but no test to see if you need them? Yep, with green on the rocks, there is phosphate, but how much? What's your water source? What kind of base rock do you have? Limestone, I hope.

To be blunt, you don't want to deal with the "hassle" of GFO, but you want to pull your cycled rock and acit wash it??? IMO, keep up on maintenance and you'll tackle the problem in time. I'm working on clearing up some algae from my year old tank as well. Its part of the hobby.

nitrate results?
Picture of issue (green rocks/algae problem) ?

There is NO reason to acid wash them IMO..

The fact that you can't seem to keep corals alive is concerning... How are they dying? specifics on that would help.. bleaching? tissue loss? browning?

How high are the lights off the tank (height from water surface to bulb?) and what are the dimensions of said tank..?

Here's picture of the tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11458&pictureid=78015

Candy cane coral
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11458&pictureid=78018

I forgot to mention that I also use biopellets to help with nitrates. One baggie is biopellets, the other is phosguard. When I tested, (I use api) it seems between 10-15 ppm.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11458&pictureid=78016

Here's my bubble coral. The original rock it was attached to broke off. It used to inflate much more but now that's it. Algae is growing on the base of the skeleton
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11458&pictureid=78017

I bought a duncan coral about a month ago. It hasn't inflated yet, still retracted.

The tank is 30" across. The light is about 5" from the surface. It's a coralife brand light.

I'm suspecting you have an overall problem with phosphate. Corals hate it. Algae loves it. Passive water contact with a bag of beads isn't going to help much. You need a GFO reactor with medium changed monthly until you solve the problem. And if your water source isn't 0 tds that could be feeding it with every water change.

Ummm. You've bought removers but no test to see if you need them? Yep, with green on the rocks, there is phosphate, but how much? What's your water source? What kind of base rock do you have? Limestone, I hope.

That's why im hesitant on using phosphorus rx (lanthanum chloride). I figured phosguard would be more safe if used less than recommended amount.

It is caribsea base rock. Water source is RODI water. Even after DI chamber, it comes out around 3-5 ppm.

To be blunt, you don't want to deal with the "hassle" of GFO, but you want to pull your cycled rock and acit wash it??? IMO, keep up on maintenance and you'll tackle the problem in time. I'm working on clearing up some algae from my year old tank as well. Its part of the hobby.

It's really the reaction chamber and not having a lot of space being the biggest hassle. A baggie seems easier.

You simply need to continue working on reducing nitrates..

Some people around here seem to think phosphate is the only reason for algae.. You can have zero phosphate and elevated nitrate levels and have algae problems too..

Also.. How long are you running the light for?
I'd suspect you also have more light than you need.. And can probably raise it and potentially reduce the on time.. 8 hours is plenty..

Algae loves light + nutrients..

Just like your lawn/grass.. Light + water + Fertilizer = Good lawn
Fertilizer is nitrate (N)/phosphorous(P) /potassium(K)

I also find that nitrate levels over 10 make it more difficult to keep more demanding corals like LPS/SPS unless you have decent amounts of phosphates too.

IMO increase your water change frequency until nitrate levels drop below 3 and depending on your lighting schedule there may be some simple changes there too..

I'd ditch the biopellets in favor of liquid carbon dosing (vinegar is fine)..

Thanks all for your help. I'll start to dose vinegar.

I moved a bunch of rocks to get access to the sand in the back and revealed a plume of detritus. I clean the front area regularly. I'll focus on that the next few water changes

Back