Is it very rare to see gig in aquarium market?

For ALL marine ornamentals (from the period 1996-1999) the top US ports of entry were:

Los Angeles 54%
Miami 18%
New York 15%

No other single port had 5% or more.

I did not find any data that specifically breaks out Pacific versus Atlantic/Caribbean imports, but it makes sense that East Coast ports skew towards East Coast fish. S. gigantea is only found in the Pacific, so the majority come through Los Angeles.

I had always heard that 100% of Pacific Marine Ornamentals have to now come through LA (post 9/11) and that all other ports get their Pacific fish via LA Transship, but I can't find any specific literature on this.

I will just reiterate - they aren't that uncommon on the West Coast, you just have to buy them FAST and get them home because most LFS don't care for them. Last weekend I was at a LFS that had a nice dark blue one. The same store the prior week got in a beautiful red haddoni. They priced the haddoni at $500, which is WAY too high for the West Coast. It sat in the store for a week, and when I saw it the second weekend (at the time I saw their gigantea) the haddoni was already past saving and starting to die/dead.

tks for the very detailed info

but things in NYC are really expensive and so few species!

and if so, in Ottawa the situation will be worse,--i guess--this part of Canada definitely totally depends on the import from NYC where we trade our water, electricity and blablabla

i become so desperate now

or is it possible for me to order one from LA? Or ask a credit LFS to get one from LA?

Things are more expensive in Ottawa but i guess it's still reasonable given the higher tax collected by the canadian government

the price of RBTA is around $30--acceptable.

the price of RBTA is around $30--acceptable.

Because of the ease of asexual reproduction of BTA's, I now think it is easier and less expensive to get a captive-raised one than one from the wild. Of course, these is no shortage of these in the wild, either :)

Interestingly, LFS on the West Coast seem to be able to sell RBTA for $100 or more... I don't understand how, since you can buy them from other hobbyists for much less, but I guess there are people out there who go for the impulse purchase.

That's just sad. You need to move to Florida!!!!!!!!!:beer:

Where in Florida are you finding them? I check every store in Tampa that I know of and even call a few Lakeland stores and no one ever has any.

I always get the same line of "check back on ***day when we get our shipment in"

Few of them offered to get one at a wholesaler for me if I'd pay in advance but wont take me with them. No gaurentee's of course heh

It's not impossible but very very hard to find one and one that is even remotely in good shape. Do you know any local reefer clubs?

Thats where I found mine and some nice sps frags. If you really want to try getting one online, then Diver's Den from liveaquaria.com has them from time to time. You will get a 14 day guarantee at least.

Thats where I found mine and some nice sps frags. If you really want to try getting one online, then Diver's Den from liveaquaria.com has them from time to time. You will get a 14 day guarantee at least.

were i in the states, dd would be a good choice but can they ship those frags or inverts to canada?

Where in Florida are you finding them? I check every store in Tampa that I know of and even call a few Lakeland stores and no one ever has any.

I always get the same line of "check back on ***day when we get our shipment in"

Few of them offered to get one at a wholesaler for me if I'd pay in advance but wont take me with them. No gaurentee's of course heh

I got mine from Studio Aquatics in Lakeland. They come in waves. We'll go months without seeing any, then every store around will have several, then we'll go months without seeing them again. You just have to be patient, and let your LFS know you're looking. They're not cheap either. They go for 250 to 300 in this area.

One LFS got 6 blue and green gigs a few weeks ago. I returned to the store yesterday to purchase one, dependent on if they were still in good shape, but all were deflated badly and gaping. Same story with most of the gigs. Made me wonder how many gigs die before finding a healthy specimen.

The majority. It's really a matter of luck to get a healthy one from the get go.

isnt the border called uncheck? hehe

lol pretty sure they don't ship from wisconsin to canada.. I guess I have had luck with getting large carpets as both my first attempts have been successful. S. Gig I have had since last october and the Mag is going on a month now and eating daily:beer:

It always is shipping that really takes these guys downhill:hmm4:

lol pretty sure they don't ship from wisconsin to canada.. I guess I have had luck with getting large carpets as both my first attempts have been successful. S. Gig I have had since last october and the Mag is going on a month now and eating daily:beer:

It always is shipping that really takes these guys downhill:hmm4:

Then how'bout drivin to wisconsin and drivin back with the nem?

i used to visit my uncles in canada and brought a lot of thing crossing the border without problems

guess local lfs probably is connected to dd and saw dd's products in stock

Back