Is this a good or bad pod?

Zpmada

I removed some rock from my tank and put it in a bucket. This guy was on the surface of the water. In the future, I would like to have a Manderin Goby. Will this larger pod eat the manderin goby's food supply, or is it a good one to have and will become part of the manderin goby's food supply? It's larger than a dust particle. I'd say a milimeter or two.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Once your pod population gets up and running well, you are good for ONE mandy, small size. Your tank (with sufficient rockwork and no competion (such as a 6-line wrasse, or scooter blenny) will be able to handle the mandy. Appearance of an amphipod is a good sign.

My fish include:
2 Oscillarous clownfish
1 Royal Gramma
Yellow Watchman Goby - will she eat all the mandarin goby's food? she plows the sandbed frequently.
Pistol Shrimp (paired with the Yellow Watchman Goby listed above)

Hoping for a Manderin Goby one day. The fiancé loves the way they look. I see many other smaller pods on the glass when I turn off circulation. Do they attack each other? I could have sworn that I saw one jump at and knock another pod off the glass.

No, your watchman will eat the crud in the sand (as well as enjoying the occasional taste of regular food.) He'll be fine with your future mandy. Pods are weird and more selfprotective than you might think. Right now you'll see them on the glass. I guarantee you the presence of a mandy will spook them all into hiding. But the mandy will still find them. Somewhere in my blog (the blue number under my avatar) I have a piece on mandys and pods, btw, which might be helpful.

Back