Is this a Miyagi Tort? (ID please)

hansnfrans

This was sold to me as a Miyagi Tort, but I want to double-check. It has a blue tip and the coralites are green. I tried to get a good pic that showed off the green coralites, but as you can see I failed miserably :)

Here's some pics:

DSC01863.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01864.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01862.jpg
[/IMG]

the miyagi tort is an a. austera.... that doesnt look like an austera at all to me

the miyagi tort is yellow/lime green depending on lighting and should have a very round coralite structure... plus mine grows in more of a tight cluster

JimBob Schmidt- Thanks for the compliment :)

Here's the other coral that I purchased from the same gentleman that is also supposed to be a Miyagi Tort. When it is colored up properly, it has a rather pale skin with amazingly vibrant blue polyps.

BTW, I posted this on the CMAS forum and it sounds like there are at least 2 different Miyagi Torts out there...Reefer Madness supposedly sells one that is an A. austera and Frag Farmer sells another one, but Frag Farmer doesn't list what species their Miyagi Tort is. What species is the "true" Miyagi Tort?

LMK whatcha think....Thanks.

DSC01875.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01874.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01873.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01872.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01871.jpg
[/IMG]

Is Deswali another name for Granulosa? because thats what the top left looks like.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9763347#post9763347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ade
Is Deswali another name for Granulosa? because thats what the top left looks like.

ade,im not sure i tried Google,& got nothing for Granulosa.My LFS started carrying all these "LE" acros,& that looks similar to the 1 i was looking at labled Deswali.I am very good at growing acro's,but Horrible at ID'ing them so my money is on your id.I even have those 3 Veron books,& most still look the same to me.I like-um all.

From what I was told the uniqueness of the myagi tort is how it grows. It kind of tables and then shoots sprouts up as it tables. Mine is a suple purple one.

"That Deswali (1st pic top left) is bad to the bone."

Thanks :) I got that from Jose Dieck (jdieck). It's definately one of my favorites....now I just need to clear a spot in my display for it.

jay24k - I am hearing that the tips are supposed to be yelllow. Is there yellow on your Miyagi Tort?

dukes707- Thanks :)

Does anyone happen to know the species of the first coral in question? Thanks!

Also, to: whomever moved my thread to here....Thank you, I didn't even know that we had an SPS ID forum here :)

I received this "tort" from yikan a few years back. John S., tubs, saw it in my tank and immediately labeled it as the myagi tort. Other folks have said no, some yes...either way it is gorgeous. It is growing really strange for a tort...definately tabling. Here is a picture from a while back. It looks the same only quite a bit bigger now. No new branches, just the two sort of tableing out with all the little branches/corallites showing. It is a rather slow grower. The color is a lovely deep purple with a bit more green than yellow in amongst the branches now a days...sort of a purple/yellow green/lime maybe.

Yikan_tort_11-23-06_sm.jpg

I am really not sure what a "myagi tort" should look like but I have confidence in John :).

Not sure about yours but it is really pretty.

Mine doesn't hvae yellow tips that I can tell and is a rich rich purple. So I'm not sure what mine is.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9766384#post9766384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slojmn
I received this "tort" from yikan a few years back. John S., tubs, saw it in my tank and immediately labeled it as the myagi tort. Other folks have said no, some yes...either way it is gorgeous. It is growing really strange for a tort...definately tabling. Here is a picture from a while back. It looks the same only quite a bit bigger now. No new branches, just the two sort of tableing out with all the little branches/corallites showing. It is a rather slow grower. The color is a lovely deep purple with a bit more green than yellow in amongst the branches now a days...sort of a purple/yellow green/lime maybe.

You totally just described my unknown tort:
DrMacbluetiptortcloseup12-20-06.jpg

Back