Is this a Miyagi Tort? (ID please)

Peter, Awesome :) your colors look a lot like mine I just have a deeper purple and the polyps are a deep, super deep purple. Is yours sort of tabling in growth pattern or are you getting the traditional thick tort branches?

Thanks. That is an old pic when it was being shaded by other corals, so the polyps aren't blue. Only the polyps exposed to direct light turn blue. I've since moved it, but taking a decent pic has been tough....I'll throw on the underwater camera housing and give it a shot tomorrow. Until then, here's a bad pic. I guess I would call it standard tort formation :)
tortunknown4-1-07.jpg

I just looked at your website. Your tort pic from 3-06 is a carbon copy of my coral! Cool, it's not totally "unknown" now :D

Sorry for the hijack hansnfrans :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9763413#post9763413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLKTANG
ade,im not sure i tried Google,& got nothing for Granulosa.My LFS started carrying all these "LE" acros,& that looks similar to the 1 i was looking at labled Deswali.I am very good at growing acro's,but Horrible at ID'ing them so my money is on your id.I even have those 3 Veron books,& most still look the same to me.I like-um all.
My first thought on that piece was A. nana

The true Miyagi Tort came from VA_reefman and Copps out of Virginia. The name started as a joke about when John (VA_Reefman) is pruning this tort, he acts like Mr. Miyagi trimming his bansia tree in the Karate Kid movie. The name stuck with the coral for some reason.

As for the coral it self it has tight grouping of fat radial corallites and is a dark purple under 20k and lighter under 10k. It is most likely, IMO, A. austera.

Here are some pics of the Miyagi Tort

28576m_tort_web.jpg

119_1953.JPG

aaustera_bl1-002.jpg

Back