Is this Aiptasia?

Yx2016

Hi all,

I need some help identifying something that has been growing for several months in my tank. At first I thought it was some kind of coral and I left it alone. Recently I came to know aiptasia and what's in my tank looks like it but not quite the same. It looks a lot skinnier than regular aiptasia. I did quite a bit of search on the Internet but couldn't find anything that looks exactly like what I have. It extends when light is on and detracts completely when light goes off. It expands in my tank but not super fast. It took over 2 - 3 rocks in several months. Attached are a couple of pictures. Should I get rid of it? Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• photo411419.jpg
    photo411419.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
It could also be colonial hydroids or clove polyps. Can you try to get a closer pic with the blue lights off and the flow off?

Thank you guys for the input! Here are a few more pictures. I had a Xenia before but these ones seem to have much thinner branches. Still don't know for sure what they are. But it's good to know they are not Aiptasia!

Attachments

• photo411444.jpg
    photo411444.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • photo411445.jpg
    photo411445.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • photo411446.jpg
    photo411446.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Thank you guys for the input! Here are a few more pictures. I had a Xenia before but these ones seem to have much thinner branches. Still don't know for sure what they are. But it's good to know they are not Aiptasia!

I think it's Xenia

With the mat like structure it does appear to be star polyp of some sort. Last I knew, colonial hydroids didn’t have the mat structure.

Star polyps can be invasive (many people keep them isolated to an island).

Back