Isn't that a lot more work?

I'm also running a 40 gallon. I do a 5 gallon water change every other week using RODI and IO and my corals are doing really well.

As far as which salt mix, you're going to get a ton of different answers. I started out using IO in the 80's for a fish only tank. In the early 90s, I set up my first reef tank and started using Marine Environment. At some point, I switched to Coralife (back when their buckets of salt included a free Coralife t-shirt). I used Coralife for years until I got two bad buckets (to different batch numbers) in a row with super high Ca and Super low Alk. I switched back to IO and haven't had any issues since. The only things I dose are CA, Alk, Mg and NO3.

yeah I definitely expect a lot of answers. I'm in a number of zoanthid groups and of course everyone has various answers in regards to feeding as well but I figured this group would have more straight shooters and experience, and less 'brand' loyalty, lol. I'll swing by that LFS with the pre made RODI water and pick their brains a bit about what they are using in their pre salinated water. I don't have an issue with the material I've been using but figured since I'm due to restock soon it would be worth it to see what anyone else is using in case there is improvement to be had. 5g every other week is pretty dang reasonable. the only reason I ended up doing a small change last night was because I scrubbed the glass, had some debris floating in the water, felt motivated and thought a small water change wouldn't hurt anything. It was only 3g last night, but I did 4g a week ago. I don't have any negatives in the tank right now, just looking to see things grow more rapidly like they used to. (which they do seem to be growing like crazy again since bringing back water changes.

my current theory is that the tank has a much higher bio load than it did at 10g. Both in fish, but also in corals. Some people feel the partial change is removing wastes I'm not measuring, and I sorta feel the fresh salt is adding nutrients I'm not dosing... either way seems to be a positive so far!

The smallest tank I ever kept was a 15 gallon and I really struggled keeping corals in that one too. I don't know the answer but, I think keeping the log and adjusting one thing at a time slowly might help. Good luck.

Maybe I just got lucky with that 10g I was using. I never had any issues at all until my first out break of cyano. Once I got through that I just didn't have issues. many many years ago I had a lot of luck with a 2.5g but I didn't have anything in it other than dwarf sea horses and ricordia. so I just can't tell if it's poor lighting, flow, or what. The little 4g is from these folks: تسجيل الدخول إلى فيسبوك

it's a neat little tank and they seem to have great success with it so I'm feeling determined to make this thing work.....

Also with fall here, I'm looking forward to being more fish tank oriented as winter rolls around, lol.
I hear you there. Since we got a boat 4 years ago and I got back into fishing, my tank definitely gets neglected during the summers. With things starting to wind down and the weather starts getting cooler, I may start to make some progress on my upgrade :ROFLMAO:

So... What's the difference?

1000015233.jpg

Mostly the $20 dollar price difference 😂

In all seriousness, allegedly RC mixes with higher calcium and alk content and in enhanced with more elements needed for a reef tank, however much of the evidence seems to suggest that it’s primarily a marketing strategy. I’ve used them interchangeably with no issues.

Mostly the $20 dollar price difference 😂

In all seriousness, allegedly RC mixes with higher calcium and alk content and in enhanced with more elements needed for a reef tank, however much of the evidence seems to suggest that it’s primarily a marketing strategy. I’ve used them interchangeably with no issues.

Been using IO for my (currently) mixed reef and no issues. I do dose about 5mL Ca and Alk daily.

In the past I always just grabbed the bags which locally I only see in the orange variation, but since more frequent water changes has been proving pretty positive I thought about the bigger bucket. I just couldn't for the life of me tell the difference between the two when I was reading their descriptions lol

My wife is also of the opinion that the smaller bags are easier for her to store with our current tank supply closet setup 😂
Well, I know someone who bought 3 200-gallon boxes of IO when it was on sale. If you ask if it was me, I’ll invoke griss’ Cardinal Rule #2…even if they have proof, deny, deny, deny.

OK I need to snap some pics tonight.
I have been tinkering with that 4g AIO, I'll probably start a little log for it. I have moved a bunch of frags into it from the DT as an experiement. (If I can get the frags happy in there, then my cost risk is low since I'm just pruning anyways, and it proves to me I've figured out the chemistry)

Right now every single one of the frags I moved over from last week are happy in the little tank, fully opened up within like 24hrs, and a couple of frags that have been in there for months are finally showing signs of life.

Single biggest impact........................... turning down the light.

I am running a hyger 30w cheapo from amazon in there. I have had it on full blast because it seemed like it wasn't a strong enough light. I clicked it down a bit and suddenly the corals love it. (no I haven't measured par)

I took a picture when he was closed up last night to get a better idea of his build. I just feel like that lower head would benefit from being in a different position rather than growing down.

I've had this frogspawn for years but it seems like it's pretty much been this size the whole time.

1000015393.jpg

You could probably frag that frogspawn. It’s been many years since I have had an LPS.

Zoas are looking great. Awesome job.

I wouldn’t frag that frogspawn yet as it doesn’t look fully split yet. Generally you want to frag below the fleshband based on everything I’ve read.

Good warning to hear, maybe I'll move it then because as you can tell it's growing horizontal and I just feel like it's not in an optimum location for growth....

I wouldn’t frag that frogspawn yet as it doesn’t look fully split yet. Generally you want to frag below the fleshband based on everything I’ve read.
Thanks Shane for being the voice of reason. Like I said, it’s been a long time since I kept LPS.

Back