Isn't that a lot more work?

the other thing that is constantly on my mind is how on earth I take the corals I have, and the rocks I have, and integrate them into a new layout. Unless I basically design new rock on the bottom and try to stack our existing rock on top, to as not to disturb corals too much. I asked my wife if she'd be open to a complete break down, sell off the current corals/livestock and start over and she said no, lol. I guess that's a good sign! She likes what we have built and collected so much she doesn't want to part with them and would rather integrate them into a new tank. It's nice to share the hobby together so much.

Saw someone in one of the 3 dozen aquarist groups I follow on facebook post that his larger tank (I can't remember but I think redsea) had burst the seal at the bottom causing $38,000 in damage, so now he's down to a couple smaller tanks (like 30g or smaller) and won't ever go large again.

I'm doing some serious mental gymnastics trying to figure out my tank upgrade. The tank I have is I believe 36" wide on the nose, that redsea max 260 has the exact same dimension width wise... it's just a little taller and a little deeper. My wife who is much more spacially talented than myself, is convinced it will fit very sell in the same corner. The only concern remaining (other than cost) is that it's redsea and never in my life have I seen so many people with tank leaks!

We have even contemplated redecorating the entire living room around a tank, should we pick a different spot. Move the TV, couch, etc. but for right now that Max 260 really looks like the perfect solution for us. Plus adds about 50% water volume and space, gives me a lot of room for growth! (not to mention all the cool new water quality toys, sump, skimmer, tape, doser, etc).
Supposedly Marineland Deep Dimension tanks had issues with seam failures as well. Based on things I've heard, I would not buy a Red Sea or Marineland Deep Dimension. But, I tend to be overly cautious. If you have the budget, I'd look into either Planet Aquarium or Glass Cages. Both have solid reputations.

the other thing that is constantly on my mind is how on earth I take the corals I have, and the rocks I have, and integrate them into a new layout. Unless I basically design new rock on the bottom and try to stack our existing rock on top, to as not to disturb corals too much. I asked my wife if she'd be open to a complete break down, sell off the current corals/livestock and start over and she said no, lol. I guess that's a good sign! She likes what we have built and collected so much she doesn't want to part with them and would rather integrate them into a new tank. It's nice to share the hobby together so much.
Whenever I've done an upgrade, that's what I've done. Build a "base" in the new tank and figure out how to integrate the old rocks/corals into the new tank. That said, I'm a terrible aquascaper and am never happy with how my rock looks.

Whenever I've done an upgrade, that's what I've done. Build a "base" in the new tank and figure out how to integrate the old rocks/corals into the new tank. That said, I'm a terrible aquascaper and am never happy with how my rock looks.

I am too, and hindsight is 20/20 right?
My mom is an oil painter (professional) and I have some art in my college background, when I showed her pictures of the current tank layout she had questions about my layout, focal points etc. She's not wrong! But it's funny how hard I worked to try to create the right visual, then as the tank grows (and I learn) my focal points shift. my GSP is one of my favorite features, but visually it's in just about the worst spot it could be, lol.

The vision of being able to aquascape is amazing to me, some people have it. Then those who also have the vision in their head of what these corals will grow into, that's next level design work. great minds.

I’m along the lines of @griss. I’ll never buy a RedSea tank. However, you should also look at it as RedSea is one of the most popular brands out there, and people tend to post the negative over the positive, so take it for what it’s worth.

With regards to rock, I build a new base and work in the rest. Note that many corals can withstand being out of water for short periods, so you may be able to integrate the existing rock better, or try to aquascape it in a clear tote so you can see how it all fits between new and old rock and position it as needed.

or try to aquascape it in a clear tote so you can see how it all fits between new and old rock and position it as needed.

that's a great Idea. I told my wife we might have to take pen to paper, draw the new tank (when we pick one) to scale, then start making our design taking into account our current corals and rock shapes. the tote idea would help take this a step further I think.

also on my to do list, is to learn more about dosing and what I can dose to improve coral growth/health.
I'm very happy with the state of the tank, but I do see amazing tanks from time to time that blow mine away in terms of growth. I've never dosed phyto for instance, so it's on my to do list to learn more about.

Back