Isn't that a lot more work?

Main tank at home is doing very well, I need to get some pictures. we are at a "let it grow" stage right now and I'm seeing massive growth. the rescue utter chaos we moved to the display tank have now fully opened and have multiple new polyps forming and opening. Everything seems very healthy at the moment. I think this is going to lead to a conversion to an AIO tank next fall (I hope)....

I'm getting a fair amount of brown hair algae growth and I want to attack it as fast as possible. it would not be easy to remove and manually scrub the rocks because they have corals on them...

I've read conflicting information about a lawn mower blenny.

My emerald crabs did GREAT on my bubble algae.. But what's a good solution for simple short brown hair algae that is starting to spread fast? 20 turbos? reminder the tank is about 40g....

Can you post a picture of the algae? If it really is hair algae or Bryopsis, I've had success with fluconazole.

I grabbed a couple pictures that look very similar off the google machine. Mine's not as bad as this, but similar in color, look, and texture. generally it didn't bother me until it started to grow around some zoa polyps

1712074647883.png

If it is that same stuff as the Reef Cleaners picture, it's hair algae. If you're wanting to go with a clean up crew, Lettuce Nudibranchs and/or a Sea Hare would be the way to go. However, once the algae is gone those will starve to death. Alternatively, you could try the crew recommended by Reef Cleaners.

I've never kept a Sea Hare but I've heard of many having success with them. Lettuce Nudi's, IME, will do the trick but depending on how many your get, could take some time to clear it up.

The Fluconazole should also work.

The Fluconazole should also work.

this seems like the way to go if you don't have any concerns with the product. Nudibranches are very neat, and I've seen locals posting about sea hares, but it seems like people renting goats for a month to eat all their blackberries, people around here keep rehoming the sea hare from infested tank to infested tank :ROFLMAO:

I have used Flucon on several occasions to get rid of Bryopsis over the years with no issues.

I have used Flucon on several occasions to get rid of Bryopsis over the years with no issues.

Can you do me the favor or recommending a brand or particular treatment?

I spent some time talking with owners at two LFS's this weekend and both were in favor of basically removing the algae manually, decreasing my lights, and removing phosphates. I'm OK with manual labor, but I'm not optimistic that this will be a great solution.

I spent a few hours on Saturday removing large rocks from my tank and scrubbing them with a toothbrush in a large bowl of revive. IDK why I felt like adding the revive while doing this, but I think it had a positive impact. my GSP opened up even better than before almost immediately and I had around 10 bristle worms sitting in the bottom of the revive bowl when I was complete.

I swapped my custom redsea light setting for a pre programmed one from the app that is a little shorter, and the tank looks incredibly vibrant today. Added some phosguard to the filter as well. But with all that said, a legitimate treatment would be nice to add!

We also did snag a beautiful nem at the local petco surprisingly enough! HUGE too, like 6"+ diameter. it seems very happy in our tank. We added it on Saturday and by Sunday it looked like it was ready to split, but then spent the whole day as a full singular animal again so I'll keep my eyes on it and see if it's truly trying to split or not.

it's a gorgeous nem though, would have rather seen it stay that size, ha.

I found this....

hoping there is a quick amazon.com solution out there since my local LFS don't seem to want to give recommendations on the treatment approach....

I need to get more BBS eggs on order too, lol

Can you do me the favor or recommending a brand or particular treatment?

I spent some time talking with owners at two LFS's this weekend and both were in favor of basically removing the algae manually, decreasing my lights, and removing phosphates. I'm OK with manual labor, but I'm not optimistic that this will be a great solution.

I spent a few hours on Saturday removing large rocks from my tank and scrubbing them with a toothbrush in a large bowl of revive. IDK why I felt like adding the revive while doing this, but I think it had a positive impact. my GSP opened up even better than before almost immediately and I had around 10 bristle worms sitting in the bottom of the revive bowl when I was complete.

I swapped my custom redsea light setting for a pre programmed one from the app that is a little shorter, and the tank looks incredibly vibrant today. Added some phosguard to the filter as well. But with all that said, a legitimate treatment would be nice to add!
The brand I used was purchased from eBay a long time ago (maybe 2017ish) but, that seller seems to have disappeared. I've heard good things about Reef Flux and following the directions on the label should be sufficient.

The first time I resorted to fluconazole was because I had tried manual removal, decreasing lighting, lowering phosphates and nitrates, etc. None of that worked long term. So, I went with the fluconazole which knocked it out and it didn't come back.

Fast forward to earlier this year, I got a frag from Petco. Shortly after adding the frag to my tank, I noticed Bryopsis cropping up on the frag plug. About a week later, it had spread to some other areas of the tank. It wasn't bad but, based on past experience, I anticipated that it could become a problem. I had some of the eBay fluconazole left over (just enough to treat my tank) and it knocked it out quickly and it hasn't returned since.

I bought Flux RX by blue life.

The brand I used was purchased from eBay a long time ago (maybe 2017ish) but, that seller seems to have disappeared. I've heard good things about Reef Flux and following the directions on the label should be sufficient.

The first time I resorted to fluconazole was because I had tried manual removal, decreasing lighting, lowering phosphates and nitrates, etc. None of that worked long term. So, I went with the fluconazole which knocked it out and it didn't come back.

Fast forward to earlier this year, I got a frag from Petco. Shortly after adding the frag to my tank, I noticed Bryopsis cropping up on the frag plug. About a week later, it had spread to some other areas of the tank. It wasn't bad but, based on past experience, I anticipated that it could become a problem. I had some of the eBay fluconazole left over (just enough to treat my tank) and it knocked it out quickly and it hasn't returned since.

thanks for the feedback!
another quick note and I feel a bit silly on this. I kept describing it as brown. it looks very brown in my tank. When I pulled it out and dipped it in the revive it was very clearly green...

i'll grab one of those treatments off amazon. I like that the Flux RX looks to be in powder form, rather than capsules you have to split/dissolve manually.

Dosed with the Flux RX last night. The work I had done last weekend on the scrubbing and the rock, lowering phosphates and going to a shorter lighting schedule seems to have helped, the water still looks much clearer than usual and the glass is a little cleaner than usual considering its been a few days so I'm happy with all of that, but I think dosing the tank makes sense too.

Only complaint I would say about the Flux RX is that you get a very very small amount with the order. Hopefully I won't need to use it again for quite some time, but I'm not sure there is a full second dose in the container.

April 9th, I had dosed everything, and I believe April 6th or 7th was when I did the toothbrush scrub and revive dip. Here we are on April 18th and the algae is a complete non issue! I'll try to get some updated pics soon.

last Saturday 4/13 my wife and I went on a LFS date and definitely splurged. We picked up:

1. a new rock to raise one side of our tank and get our clove polyps higher towards light.
2. a nice 3 head duncan colony with a few tiny starts coming already
3. 2 different kenya tree frags to add bursts of green to the tank
4. a monster pagoda
5. a small piece of GSP (about 2" x 1") to glue to the back wall of the tank
6. 2 more emerald crabs

I was gone the last 4 days on a boys trip to arizona with my son but came home and everything looks like it's doing great and well adjusted. I did give these new corals all a dip in the revive before the DT. 1 of the LFS's I trust immensely, the other one I don't trust at all but gets interesting frags so... I risk it...

Glad to hear everything is doing well. Nice acquisitions.

the tank seems great since dosing and targeting my ph level! I was starting to get bummed that the frogspawn wasn't growing anymore and this weekend it looked huge (proportionately to itself). I do think my established zoas seem like they've slowed down a bit, but a few of my other colonies are still growing great. At the moment the tank feels like it's on cruise control... just clean, feed, and let things grow for a while.

We don't have the system completely dialed yet but as you can tell it's coming along. I can always count on my wife to come up with the organization side once she understands the routine.

This is becoming our BBS hatching battle station along with coral food etc.

Extra salt, pre mixed water, measuring cups, BBS nets, pipets, and two different style hatcheries. I'm truly impressed by the tubular one!

1000012403.jpg

1000012405.jpg

Back