Issue with powder brown tang not eating.

Bryanmc1988

So I recently picked up a powder brown tang for my 180 gallon tank. He looks fat but when I feed him mysis, pellets, or flakes he would take a bit then spit it out. Not sure what's going on with him. He swims fine and acts normal beside the eating part. Any idea what is going on? He's been in the tank for about a week now.

Tank parameters:
Alk: 9.2
Cal: 450-460
Mag: 1400
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0.127
Nitrate: 4.5

Tank is a mix reef with Softies, LPS, and SPS

If he is biting at the food, but not swallowing, that's still a good sign. Flakes and pellets take some getting used to. If your LFS has life brine, that usually works.

Try some seaweed rubber banded to a rock too.

was it eating at the store before you purchased it? is it picking at the rocks in the tank? definitely agree with above with the seaweed.

What size? Where did it come from (region)? Did you see it eat before purchase? Did you QT (I’m assuming not)?

I agree with above post. Try dried seaweed on a clip. I had the same issue with my pbt and finally did ocean nutrition seaweed sheets on a clip and the pbt started eating like a pig. Later he will start doing pellets and mysis but start off with seaweed. Gl

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I added seaweed and never seen it fully eat it. It would peak at it once or twice and never touch it again from what I can see. It swims around the tank picking at everything tho, rocks, side glass, coral plugs etc.

It's a pbt being a pbt. If it wasn't eating at the store then it's gonna be tough but is if it at least tasting foods in the tank theirs a chance it will make it. Keep feeding nori and brine shrimp, maybe try some romaine lettuce as well.

I added seaweed and never seen it fully eat it. It would peak at it once or twice and never touch it again from what I can see. It swims around the tank picking at everything tho, rocks, side glass, coral plugs etc.

Was it banded to a rock? A little garlic for enticement purposes couldn't hurt.

My pellet food has garlic in them and all my other tangs in the tank eat like pigs but this new PBT just doesn’t seem interested in anything I put in. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it starts eating or not.

Is there a way to manually feed the fish without harming it?

When I choose a tang , I choose one that doesn't have a sunken belly and has some plump shoulder muscle area . I stay away if emaciated. What setup is it in right now?
k

Back