It's Friday and time for reef keeping discussion

Well this is the missing link to me for fail reef tank is bacteria.
We all believe that we have enough bacteria after the tank cycle that's only truth if u have a fish only tank. Fish don't eat bacteria but corals do. And if we Replenish it then our can get out off wack even with all others parameters and light and flow are in check. I try to do a lot of research on zeovit and wonder why do they preach so much about their bacteria dosing. And if u follow zeo u know that the system require u to dose bacteria forever as long as u own the tank. While most other system advocate more in the beginning but after cycle then u concentrate more to vitamins and food. If you remember old tank syndrome when people always blame that nitrate accumulation or metal or phosphate cause the tank crash but now we know nitrate and phosphate are needed for the sps to thrive so what missing is the replacement of bacteria. This is base on my tank observation and the daily experience that I gather. If you look at most zeo tank the thing stand out the most is the pastel color but second is polyps extension. What entice polyps extension? Is the amount of food particle in the water aka bacteria. The Corals feel like feeding all day because the abundance bacteria in the water. Anyway some different angle that I try to approach and at the same time try to find an answer to why suddenly a reef tank can crash.

Wow.... I seem to miss all of the SCMAS meetings....mainly because I start work on Fridays in the afternoon. That seems to be one GRAND PRIZE from the raffle. However, I'm sure there were other winners. Please give us an update on the pumps functions and operations.

- Larry

Me, I'm tired of high Nitrates. My problem is high Nitrates with no Phosphates. Sigh. Most high tech tank I've ever had and the most trouble I've ever had getting corals to grow!

VHO tank, great RBTAs. CF tank, great clams, acros, various softies and especially GSP. MH tank, great acro and pulsing Xenia, among other corals. All of these were hand dosed, manual top-off. Now, LEDs, auto dosing, Ecobak reactor, ATO, and nothing but problems!

Kevin

Wow.... I seem to miss all of the SCMAS meetings....mainly because I start work on Fridays in the afternoon. That seems to be one GRAND PRIZE from the raffle. However, I'm sure there were other winners. Please give us an update on the pumps functions and operations.

- Larry

Haha actually this is not a grand prize, a second runner up. Grand price was the fish toilet klir filter and I'm glad I didn't win that.

Btw, I completely agree with you about bacteria. Having always used live rock in my reef tanks, my new tank was set up using half dry rock, half live rock and I never struggled with a tank more than this one. I used less rock than I've ever used in a set up before, but I was going for a minimal rock-scape-thing. Having and keeping bacteria flourishing is an absolute must for corals.
Congrats on the prize!

Btw, I completely agree with you about bacteria. Having always used live rock in my reef tanks, my new tank was set up using half dry rock, half live rock and I never struggled with a tank more than this one. I used less rock than I've ever used in a set up before, but I was going for a minimal rock-scape-thing. Having and keeping bacteria flourishing is an absolute must for corals.
Congrats on the prize!

Thanks but my frag tank is 1" acrylic and I don't think the magnet will hold.

Anthony, are you running the full zeovit system or are you doing a hybrid? I really like the idea of adding bacteria, especially long term, but I'm not sure if I want to go full zeovit with reactor?

Anthony, are you running the full zeovit system or are you doing a hybrid? I really like the idea of adding bacteria, especially long term, but I'm not sure if I want to go full zeovit with reactor?

I'm doing full zeo with my own take. The zeolite rock is optional to me. If only bacteria source you want then u only need to dose zeobak and zeostart3 start out 50% for 3 months then increase 10% every 3 months if needed.

I'm doing full zeo with my own take. The zeolite rock is optional to me. If only bacteria source you want then u only need to dose zeobak and zeostart3 start out 50% for 3 months then increase 10% every 3 months if needed.

Thanks! Do you find that you're dosing more of one thing than the other? Or as needed via observation?

The zeobak n zeostart3 has a guide to dose I believe 1 drop per 25g 2x per weeks. I just calculate the drops then divide to 7 days then dose half. I like to dose everything in 7 days so I don't have to remember which day dose what.

Thanks! I'm gonna have to read more about it to fully understand the system. I'm just thinking about a hybrid approach without adding a reactor, but also not causing things to get out of whack. The quest continues........

If you only add zeobak n zeostart3 then the only side effect is algae since your bacteria source is changing and the nitrate n phosphate will be reduce therefore cyano start to appear. Remember zeovit system is very effective of reducing nitrate n phosphate. U can feed all day n the system will keep it in check. Don't u wonder why zeo tank get good pe extension. Sometime I have to turn off my skimmer for a week to keep my po3 n po4 not going down to zero and I have 55 fish

zeobak and zeostart3 eh... I can't afford any more zeo dosing lol

some of these are way too expensive.. coming in 100ml bottles.

-Acropower
-Flatworm Stop
-Coral Booster
-Coral Snow Plus
-Coral Vitalizer

I should deposit 100lbs of rocks at your house and slowly put them in my tank. Free zeo bacteria :)

I'm feeding multiple times a day and if I skip a few times, I notice the next day. I need more fish too. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us more about the bacteria and the carbon source.

Is zeobak a big mouth bacteria?

Lol I just want throw another idea regarding tank crash aka Coral dieing instead of the usual suspects alkalinity, nutrients, temperature, light, flow....etc may be u should be looking at the building blocks of life bacteria.

zeobak and zeostart3 eh... I can't afford any more zeo dosing lol

some of these are way too expensive.. coming in 100ml bottles.

-Acropower
-Flatworm Stop
-Coral Booster
-Coral Snow Plus
-Coral Vitalizer

I should deposit 100lbs of rocks at your house and slowly put them in my tank. Free zeo bacteria :)

Lol zeo-spa is 20$ per month membership

Back