Jadette's IM Nuvo SR-60 AIO Build

Heyyyy there. Awesomeness to see you back in the game. I wish I had pieces to start you out but just lost almost everything to dinoflagellates. A few laps here and zoas there. Uhggg. When I'm all stocked up and growing corals like no ones business again I'll hook you up :) Welcome back

Hey Brent! Glad to see you're still in the hobby, though sad to hear about your dino problem. :(
Looking forward to trading corals with everyone again!

So I think I finally figured out my livestock picks.

1) A butterfly from the roaps family (most likely a mitratus)
2) A juvenile tang from the Zebrasoma family
3) A small school (3-5) of Ostorhinchus luteus (yellow cardinals)

And that's bloody it. I'm sure some may feel this is a lot for a 60 gallon, but if you know me, you'll know that I'm practicing some crazy restraint here to keep the list this small. Besides, the cardinals are tiny, not very active swimmers, and will not contribute much to my bioload - so essentially, I'll only have 2 fish swimming about in the water column.

Equipment comes in today, so hoping to be able to start dryscaping this weekend.

My AWC will be set up right outside the window. Debating if I should drill holes on my newly refinished hardwood floors - original oak floors from 1931 restored (you can sense my hesitation) or go all ghetto and run it through the adjacent window. Guess there's no simple answer to that one. But based on how 'clean' I want this to look, I'm partial to going with the former.

I also tossed all of my hanna checkers so I'll have to buy new test kits. Wondering if I should just go all baller and pick up the Neptune Trident. Hmm...

[MENTION=139056]jadette[/MENTION], any updates?

Hey Mike! Yes, lots of updates. My tank has been up and running for about 2.5 months now. Quite the challenge looking for livestock during this "pandemic", but I was fortunate enough to pick up some hard to find fish in early March-before shipments slowed.
In summary:

I was on jury duty on an interesting workplace sexual harassment case for the entire month of February - which gave me the time to do a lot of research on equipment, and I had everything in place in quick order - including 2x10 gallon custom reservoirs from Advanced Acrylics for an ATO/AWC set up. I picked up a Trident too, and have that configured with the Neptune DOS to add ALK/CA/MG. Everything fit tightly underneath my tank. Without a sump, this made it possible:

kfK3KvL.jpg

Got my tank wet at the end of February.

baoNElV.jpg

Waited 2 weeks - and decided to stock my tank after a small diatom bloom came and went. Admittedly, I was impatient and I should have waited longer... but waiting is for wussies! So I decided to just go all crazy and buy fish. You would think that I would test the waters (pun intended) with a small inexpensive fish. But I was getting paid an extra $15 a day for jury duty, so I felt a need to splurge. I picked up a pair of borbonius anthias, a declivis butterfly, and a "baby" gem tang. A couple of weeks later, I added a pair of picasso clowns with hopes that they would host in a malu carpet anemone that I picked up.

Now, from all the ups and downs on my tank so far, this "baby" tang was my most disappointing experience by far. I specifically paid extra for a small juvenile gem that was < 2", but received a ~4" socially inept adult gem tang with all sorts of issues (swam funny, would bump into rocks, spent most of the day hiding, etc). Most importantly, it wouldn't eat. And believe me, I've tried it all. Mysis, spirulina enriched brine, live brine, live blackworms, 3 different types of pellets, 2 different types of dried seaweed soaked in garlic, fresh red oga, algae wafers - the list goes on. I spent more on trying different foods for the tang than what I paid for the tang itself. All this for a fish I didn't even want (that being a large adult tang). After 6+ weeks, I gave up. Thinking that it might be just unhappy in my tank, I gave it to a fellow reefer with a much larger tank, but it still refused to eat and finally succumbed to starvation 2 weeks later.

All of the other fish (it's been 2 months now since initial introduction to my tank) are doing extremely well - fat and healthy and no aggression. I love peaceful tanks. Surprisingly, the borbs are out and about all the time - which I am thrilled about since I read that they tend to hide in rocks most of the time. The two borbs doubled in size in the short 2 months and although one is obviously more dominant than the other, they pair up nicely together.

I'm picking up a trio of threadfin cardinals and also a trio of chromis to round out my fish list and then I'm done... at least that's what I'm telling myself now!

As far as corals go, I've been very pleased with the progress on that. Will detail my adventures back into the sps world later as I am sure everybody's eyes need a rest from the novel that I just typed out here.

She's busy upgrading to a bigger tank

You just wait and see. I will eventually convert my patio to an enclosed patio with a 600 gallon cube tank in the center. The stand will extend out a bit to double as a bar where I can sit and stare at my large school of anthias while sipping on a Manhattan.

IT WILL HAPPEN.

Just need to figure out which one of my two kids will not go to college.

You just wait and see. I will eventually convert my patio to an enclosed patio with a 600 gallon cube tank in the center. The stand will extend out a bit to double as a bar where I can sit and stare at my large school of anthias while sipping on a Manhattan.

IT WILL HAPPEN.

Just need to figure out which one of my two kids will not go to college.

Awesome! Sorry about the gem. Tank is looking good!

Awesome! Sorry about the gem. Tank is looking good!

That was just what my tank looked like when I first got it wet. I added a lot of corals since then. Here's my tank today.. All frags - so it will be me trying to be patient waiting for this:

to hopefully grow into looking something like this:

Dang, I really do miss my evansi anthias!

Got my sps frags from battlecorals, cultivatedreef, and s2k. The bigger frags from s2k. :cool:

I honestly think it's a bit overcrowded. I was lucky and only one of the frags I received didn't survive my initial coral dipping. Everything else survived, and once in my tank, I've had no casualties.

With the trident online and my DOS system adjusting daily automatically, I've managed to keep my water parameters pretty stable. I've been shooting for:

ALK: 8-9
CA: 460
MG: 1350

My phosphates are a little high at .10 ppm right now (Hanna Phosphate ULR), but I don't feel a need to try to get this much lower. I actually battled with high phosphates in my tank in the beginning since I rushed to stock the tank before it was stable. During the first month with livestock, it was > .99 for awhile and I battled with bryopsis and dinos - fortunately, not at the same time.
For the bryopsis, I dosed my tank with fluconazole at the first sight of it on some of my frag plugs and a week later after medicating, the bryopsis was completely gone. All corals and fish were unaffected.
A few weeks later, dinoflagellates started popping up on my rocks and sandbed. I installed an in-tank 24W UV (it was super ugly in my tank, but I knew it would only be temporary). Again, it only took about a week for the dinos to die off. Again, all corals and fish were unaffected.
I guess I was lucky that I took care of the nuisance algae before it got a chance to become a problem.
Corals really started taking off about a week ago. Noticed a huge uptake of ALK and I'm dosing an extra 25 ml a day now compared to last week just to keep my ALK steady.
What I'm unhappy about is my nitrates right now are undetectable - I think that's why my zoas and mushrooms are shriveling up. Started dosing sodium nitrate recently to get my nitrates up to ~ 2-5 ppm.

I don't know why I'm chasing #s . I used to never test and would just do water changes whenever I felt things looked "off". Now my home office looks like a chem lab and I'm testing daily - and adjusting my dosing daily. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Will be interesting to see if I will have better success with micromanaging my tank vs what I did in the past - which was just eyeballing stuff!

Looks great! Adam has some pretty cool sps, a battlebox is in my future once I get back to work. Nothing beats homegrown local frags either. I've been holding out for some Ignitus anthias, but I've decided to pick up a small group of Fusilier damsels instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHIRLEY!!!!!
WOW....Welcome back. You have always had killer tanks. I'm happy to see this new build. You're off to an awesome start. I'm sending you all the positive vibes that this hobby has to offer because I would really love to see you accomplish this new goal. THAT'S AN AWESOME FTS BTW. Well, keep us all informed. I'm definitely tagging along on this build. Great work.

Larry - SFVR

Looks great! Adam has some pretty cool sps, a battlebox is in my future once I get back to work. Nothing beats homegrown local frags either. I've been holding out for some Ignitus anthias, but I've decided to pick up a small group of Fusilier damsels instead.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Adam was great. It was amazing how personal his correspondences were and his packaging was just so adorable, I almost want to order another battlebox just to get more stickers from him! But I agree. Nothing beats trading with local reefers. Can't wait until my frags grow out so I can do that again.
Never seen fusilier damsels before. Did you get them through diver's den? they look large in photos - kinda like if a chromis had babies with an anthias!

Looking good. If you need anymore SPS, let me know.

How are you liking an AIO?

Thanks Mike! Don't know what SPS to ask for when I have no idea what is in your tank. Yes, that's a not so subtle hint that I want to see a FTS from you!

Getting used to the AIO was challenging. I was initially really frustrated with it, but learned to live with its limitations. I do like not having a sump though.

The first issue I had with it was not being able to place my lights in a way to get even coverage. Because one of the compartments housed my skimmer with no room to mount my lights behind it, I couldn't not place my AI light bracket far enough to the left side of the tank. If you look at my FTS, it's a little bit dark on the left side. Wish I could mount my Hydras higher for better coverage, but the AI brackets are not that tall, and I already have them mounted at the maximum height.

Another issue I had was finding a decent skimmer that would fit. I went with the Tunze 9012 DC, which barely fits in the largest compartment. This skimmer is very sensitive, and if I do not align the skimmer cup perfectly with the skimmer body, I'll get microbubbles escaping from the skimmer. Since my tank is tucked away in a corner, it was very difficult to reach over to make that perfect alignment. Basically would have to do a blind mate. I have enough practice now to do this right consistently, but the first few weeks of failed attempts to align the cup perfectly was super frustrating.

A third issue I had with the AIO was that the ATO/AWC optical sensors in the AIO chamber were sensitive to my Hydra LED lights that were running over the tank, so the optical sensor would sometimes not register that the water level had reached a point to turn off the pump. No bueno. Apparently, it's a common problem, and Coralife customer service said that the ATO/AWC system was designed to work in a sump, not in an AIO (apparently, people don't use LEDs in their sumps ever?) Fortunately, my back-up system would turn off the pumps before my tank would overflow, but I certainly didn't want to rely on my back-up system to catch a primary failure on a regular basis. My hubby 3-D printed some nifty brackets to shade the optical sensors so it's not an issue anymore.

The fourth issue I had is that I am acronym challenged and I have to sit and think every now and then to recall what AIO stands for and it hurts my head to think.

All in all though, it's all fine and dandy now. I like not having to worry about leaky plumbing, or not noticing my skimmer overflowing, or finding out days later that my media reactor is offline. Everything is in plain sight!

SHIRLEY!!!!!
WOW....Welcome back. You have always had killer tanks. I'm happy to see this new build. You're off to an awesome start. I'm sending you all the positive vibes that this hobby has to offer because I would really love to see you accomplish this new goal. THAT'S AN AWESOME FTS BTW. Well, keep us all informed. I'm definitely tagging along on this build. Great work.

Larry - SFVR

Thanks Larry! Despite all of my mini-gripes, I am enjoying my journey back into the reefing world. I learned some new things that I never really thought about addressing in my old tank before, so I am glad that I am still learning in this hobby (like my adventure in trying to raise my pH during a time where my house is filled with air breathers 24/7 during this lockdown) - yet at the same time have enough experience to not be overwhelmed when not so great things pop up (e.g, bryopsis outbreaks).

As far as the FTS goes, I'm trying to recreate a mini version of my old tank. It's crazy that my old tank was 3x the size! So to achieve that, I have to be good with making things be the right scale for my tank. That's the main reason why I was so PO'd about getting the large gem tang. Totally threw off the scale in my tank. Yes, my fish will get bigger, but I am sure by then they will grow on me and I will not care as much.
For the SPS frags though, I do plan on trimming them often. The last thing I would want is a large colony to throw perspective off! My goal is for me to take a FTS shot of my tank, compare it to my old 140g, and not be able to tell from photos that the tanks are different sizes. I'll have to photoshop out my MP40, get rid of my YT, and find a new home for my hippotus clam eventually, but you get the idea!

Yes, Adam was great. It was amazing how personal his correspondences were and his packaging was just so adorable, I almost want to order another battlebox just to get more stickers from him! But I agree. Nothing beats trading with local reefers. Can't wait until my frags grow out so I can do that again.
Never seen fusilier damsels before. Did you get them through diver's den? they look large in photos - kinda like if a chromis had babies with an anthias!

Thanks Mike! Don't know what SPS to ask for when I have no idea what is in your tank. Yes, that's a not so subtle hint that I want to see a FTS from you!

Getting used to the AIO was challenging. I was initially really frustrated with it, but learned to live with its limitations. I do like not having a sump though.

The first issue I had with it was not being able to place my lights in a way to get even coverage. Because one of the compartments housed my skimmer with no room to mount my lights behind it, I couldn't not place my AI light bracket far enough to the left side of the tank. If you look at my FTS, it's a little bit dark on the left side. Wish I could mount my Hydras higher for better coverage, but the AI brackets are not that tall, and I already have them mounted at the maximum height.

Another issue I had was finding a decent skimmer that would fit. I went with the Tunze 9012 DC, which barely fits in the largest compartment. This skimmer is very sensitive, and if I do not align the skimmer cup perfectly with the skimmer body, I'll get microbubbles escaping from the skimmer. Since my tank is tucked away in a corner, it was very difficult to reach over to make that perfect alignment. Basically would have to do a blind mate. I have enough practice now to do this right consistently, but the first few weeks of failed attempts to align the cup perfectly was super frustrating.

A third issue I had with the AIO was that the ATO/AWC optical sensors in the AIO chamber were sensitive to my Hydra LED lights that were running over the tank, so the optical sensor would sometimes not register that the water level had reached a point to turn off the pump. No bueno. Apparently, it's a common problem, and Coralife customer service said that the ATO/AWC system was designed to work in a sump, not in an AIO (apparently, people don't use LEDs in their sumps ever?) Fortunately, my back-up system would turn off the pumps before my tank would overflow, but I certainly didn't want to rely on my back-up system to catch a primary failure on a regular basis. My hubby 3-D printed some nifty brackets to shade the optical sensors so it's not an issue anymore.

The fourth issue I had is that I am acronym challenged and I have to sit and think every now and then to recall what AIO stands for and it hurts my head to think.

All in all though, it's all fine and dandy now. I like not having to worry about leaky plumbing, or not noticing my skimmer overflowing, or finding out days later that my media reactor is offline. Everything is in plain sight!

Thanks Larry! Despite all of my mini-gripes, I am enjoying my journey back into the reefing world. I learned some new things that I never really thought about addressing in my old tank before, so I am glad that I am still learning in this hobby (like my adventure in trying to raise my pH during a time where my house is filled with air breathers 24/7 during this lockdown) - yet at the same time have enough experience to not be overwhelmed when not so great things pop up (e.g, bryopsis outbreaks).

As far as the FTS goes, I'm trying to recreate a mini version of my old tank. It's crazy that my old tank was 3x the size! So to achieve that, I have to be good with making things be the right scale for my tank. That's the main reason why I was so PO'd about getting the large gem tang. Totally threw off the scale in my tank. Yes, my fish will get bigger, but I am sure by then they will grow on me and I will not care as much.
For the SPS frags though, I do plan on trimming them often. The last thing I would want is a large colony to throw perspective off! My goal is for me to take a FTS shot of my tank, compare it to my old 140g, and not be able to tell from photos that the tanks are different sizes. I'll have to photoshop out my MP40, get rid of my YT, and find a new home for my hippotus clam eventually, but you get the idea!

I don't have them yet, trying to source them through a friend, Adam (LAreefguy). Yeah, they're super passive and colorful, but I think they get overlooked because of their name. I really wanted some Ignitus Anthias, but sourcing them has been difficult. I'm gonna stick to the Fusiliers, just have to be patient for now, plus they're kinda unique.

Last edited:
Back