japanese gallery...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11692868#post11692868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by usmc121581
We as in USA and others so so far behind in technology. I had the chance to go there for 6 months. Never thought about bringing back equipment. Even if I did it would probably blow up as they use different wattage

The voltate may be different, but I know several parts of asia that are 220v/60hz like the US, so a simple voltage converter ($10-100 depending on wattage) would work. Otherwise, anything that is DC would be fine (the converter is what matters), and anything like a bulb (which requires a ballast), reflector, etc would be fine. I have considered doing the same. I have some relatives that travel through Taiwan every year as they go from their summer home in Poland to their winter home in Australia... they are going to try to find those KZ skimmers for dirt cheap for me (I hear the bodies are only a hundred dollars each over there).

Otherwise, I dont know that they are that far ahead in the reef market though. Most T5 bulbs and halides from the area are 'knock-off' cheap bulbs... with a few exceptions (usually from Japan like pheonix and Ushio of course). The style may be ahead of our own in some ways, but the technology is the same.

The wattage is about the same. they are at 110 to promote energy conservation. You can get some cheap 115-110 downgraders in japan for about 5 bucks.

As far as technology. While browsing their site, they're using a lot of the same equipment we are. I saw no real sump/refuge type applications. The website that was shown here showed a lot of canisters.

And about the coral... unfortunately, I'm REALLY new to the whole coral hobby. I wouldn't know what they have and we don't. hehe

Back