JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

Joe, I mean besides algae. You read studies saying high po4 stunts sps growth, along with turning them brown. Looking at your tank, it doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you believe sets your tank apart from these studies?

JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

Joe, I mean besides algae. You read studies saying high po4 stunts sps growth, along with turning them brown. Looking at your tank, it doesn't seem to be the case.

What do you believe sets your tank apart from these studies?

Those studies have been debunked many times and it's really just the average reefers blaming high nutrients on their issues. Master aquarists like Sanjay run high nutrient systems.

I prefer po4 of .3-.5 myself.

That's an awesome video!!! I love hearing that your tank has a PO4 level of 1.7. I'm trying really hard to leave my P04 alone. I've never done any good trying to force those levels down.

Whiskey

Marvelous, busting one more myth about po4 ....:)

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk

This myth was busted long ago. Eric Borneman showed pictures of two tanks tied to the same pump with higher phosphate. One tank had a mass amount of algae the other fine. What was the difference? Herbivorous.

The only issue with this is there are different type of algae. You need multiple type of herbivorous because they eat different things. Different tangs eat different algae and allot of people do not have large enough tank to have multiple tangs and not allot of people want to risk angels.

The other issue with high phosphates is you got to be careful you do not introduce a algae that these herbivores do not eat. Happened to may friend who had multiple tangs and other herbivores. He introduced a frag with dictyota on it and overnight it took over his tank and pushed him out of the hobby. I introduced the same algae since we split the colony and it did not spread in my tank. Actually pushed him out of the hobby it was so bad. Never seen anything like it.
650Dictyota_Right_zpsf7syssuf.jpg

This myth was busted long ago. Eric Borneman showed pictures of two tanks tied to the same pump with higher phosphate. One tank had a mass amount of algae the other fine. What was the difference? Herbivorous.

The only issue with this is there are different type of algae. You need multiple type of herbivorous because they eat different things. Different tangs eat different algae and allot of people do not have large enough tank to have multiple tangs and not allot of people want to risk angels.

The other issue with high phosphates is you got to be careful you do not introduce a algae that these herbivores do not eat. Happened to may friend who had multiple tangs and other herbivores. He introduced a frag with dictyota on it and overnight it took over his tank and pushed him out of the hobby. I introduced the same algae since we split the colony and it did not spread in my tank. Actually pushed him out of the hobby it was so bad. Never seen anything like it.
650Dictyota_Right_zpsf7syssuf.jpg

Very educational. May I share this picture to others?

Very educational. May I share this picture to others?

Not my picture, it is a friend of mine, he is not in the hobby anymore.
After this we went up to Greenbay to hang out with either Ron Shimek or Eric Borneman, I can not remember which, lots of drinking lol.. Anyway we came home and he had his RO/DI tied directly to his ATO container and his ATO stuck on.. Came home to all his corals completely gone and water all over his basement. I think his fish survived. After this and the issue above pushed him out of the hobby.

Last edited:
Updated video from the other day. Still going strong.

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pt6CpJMTRBg?rel=0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks guys, it's nice to have the tank back from where it was at the beginning of this thread.

Looking great! Good to see your still at it. I have been out of the game for almost a decade but your tank once again has me missing my tanks and trying to catch up on the new tech.

Wow, what a spectacular tank... Just finished reading through the whole thread and there's so much great information to be learned here.

Quick question for you about the Triton/ARID Reactor... I'm in the planning stages of a 25g Lagoon from Innovative Marine. The plan is for it to be sps dominant like the 75 and I'd love to avoid overcomplicating this tank with a skimmer, carbon dosing, ect.

Do you think the ARID n18 (along w Triton for other parameters) would work as the sole nutrient export method on a tank this size? Or would it be too overpowered (it's rated for 40-120g)? I could honestly get by for a while on water changes alone, but the gear head in me is tempted by that ARID Reactor :D

Thanks Joe! And again, beautiful tank!

Hey Joe. It's been a minute since we saw each other. I hope you're well. How's the tank doing?

Hey Joe. It's been a minute since we saw each other. I hope you're well. How's the tank doing?
Holy you are around, PM me or email me to get together.

My tank hit the wall. I got hit with a bunch of bad luck. Company I worked for got acquired, and I was let go, knew it was happening but still was not working for a while. But then the tank started to leak, yes leak. The leak was in the front left corner. This was about a month or two before COVID started. I was able to put a bar clamp on it and clamp it slightly and it stopped the leak. Crisis avoided, I decided to wait a month or two to figure out the best plan of attack. Then my father had a stroke, almost died but docters were able to get in quick enough and he is for the most part good. Then covid took off and we went into lock down, and the tank decided to start to crash on me. Nothing really I could do at the time and with the leak problem I didn't react as quickly as I could. Short story I lost the SPS, all the LPS were fine.

So now two years have gone by and I have just had other things that were important to me, so the tank has just sort of hung out. Fish are fine as are all the LPS, the clamp is on still on the tank. I need to get back in the game but am lacking motivation.

Back