JBNY's 270 Ver2.0

Looking at your test results, the macro elements suggest that your salinity is a little high.

But as always your corals are looking amazing.

I was reading through this thread and I am correcting an error.

#607 from JB NY
yes Acropower is an amino acid, it is sold by TLF. Amino acids are used by pretty much all growing things: fish, corals, people, algae etc. Aminos are also a form of Nitrate, and just like all nitrate, some is good, too much is not. Corals need to uptake nitrate to grow. But for their total nitrate needs, corals will only take in about 20% of their total nitrates from aminos, the rest they take from inorganic nitrates like ammonium (from fish) and NO3. So if we add only AA as your nitrate source this can lead to problems as the coral can only take in so much AA and the rest feeds algae. Mixing it with a nitrate solution such as the KNO3 I think is a way to get AA into the mix without over doing it and still getting the NO3 they need as well.

#817 from JB NY
Thanks, I stopped dosing TLF AA a while ago. I read a few papers that showed that AA are really just another form of nitrates to the corals and corals are more easily able to take up Nitrates than AA so I stopped dosing the AA. Based on where my current tank is I don't see a need to dose AA anymore.

I was reading through this thread and I am correcting errors of fact.

1) Acropower is a not an (one) amino acid, but likely a mixture of multiple different animo acids.

2) Amino acids are not a "form of nitrate". This is incorrect. Animo acids do contain nitrogen.
they are in the form of COOH-C-R-NH2, where R is the side chain of the animo acid.
Thus animo acids have an amine group NH2 and contain nitrogren, but they are not a direct source of nitrates. Some amino acids like lysine contain additional nitrogen. Feeding amino acids will lead to a increase in nitrates just like feeding food increases nitrates.

Typically food feed to fish contains lots of compounds containing reduce nitrogen like animo acids (and protein which are chains of amino acids). These sources of nitrogen are then eaten by fish and excreted by fish as urine that contains ammonia NH3/NH4+depending on pH.
This ammonia is then oxidized to nitrates when it is used by aerobic bacteria.

Last edited:
Don't miss out seeing Joes speech on his tank this Friday at long island reef association club meeting. If you guys have any questions let me know.

Attachments

• D5A4CCDE-E436-4D99-A529-8B1A7EE4C04A.jpg
    D5A4CCDE-E436-4D99-A529-8B1A7EE4C04A.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
I am now firmly a believer in phosphates are not nearly as important as we have been lead to believe. I really think people, myself included, have done more damage to their tank by trying to reduce phosphates than if they had just left them alone.

Joe, my phosphates have been very high 0.6. Everytime I try to slowly reduce it thus far, I would get some SPS stn on me. I have installed a Pax Bellum for about a week now.

Based on your own experience for your system, because every system will be different. What level of phosphates range is deemed good for your system?

Thanks!

"Yup I am adding extra stuff already, if I could figure out what is missing I would just add it to the mix, but no luck so far."

If your reactor is on its own pump, try adding a portion of your Manganese dose near the intake & see if you get a growth spurt. Manganese deficiency mimics Iron deficiency in many plants.

I add a lot of Manganese at this point, I'm really not sure where it all goes but I will try that, thanks.

Hi Joe,

Are you dosing with Core7 ? or the original base elements ?

The original Base Elements. I bought a 2 year supply last year.

Looking at your test results, the macro elements suggest that your salinity is a little high.

But as always your corals are looking amazing.

Yup, I tested right away, SG was 1.030! I lowered it over a few day back down to 1.025. I had not tested my SG in well over a year, I put it down on the maintenance schedule for every 2 months to check it.

this has always been one of my favorite tanks!

corey

Thanks Corey!

Joe, my phosphates have been very high 0.6. Everytime I try to slowly reduce it thus far, I would get some SPS stn on me. I have installed a Pax Bellum for about a week now.

Based on your own experience for your system, because every system will be different. What level of phosphates range is deemed good for your system?

Thanks!

Other than seeing it in a test result. I've noticed no difference AT ALL in my tank with the phosphate from barely detectable at 0.02 to over 1 where it is now.

I searched the whole thread and probably skipped over it some how but I was wondering what your lighting cycle on the t5 and halides are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than seeing it in a test result. I've noticed no difference AT ALL in my tank with the phosphate from barely detectable at 0.02 to over 1 where it is now.

Wow, to even get growth with Phosphates being at 1.

I always thought high Phosphates inhibited SPS growth, but in your case, that does not seem to be an issue.

Can I ask the range of your Nitrate right now? I wonder if high Phosphates also need to have higher Nitrate levels in some sort of proportion to keep the SPS happy?

Thanks

Recent video of the tank.

Also my tank was awarded the Tank Spotlight for March 2018 over at another reef board!

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fUPw15y7St8?rel=0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, to even get growth with Phosphates being at 1.

I always thought high Phosphates inhibited SPS growth, but in your case, that does not seem to be an issue.

Can I ask the range of your Nitrate right now? I wonder if high Phosphates also need to have higher Nitrate levels in some sort of proportion to keep the SPS happy?

Thanks

Nitrates are about 10-15 ppm right now. Phosphates are still a little high around 1.7 ppm as of two weeks ago.

Joe, why do you believe some people have issues with higher nutrient levels while some, like yourself do not?

I think many people don't have enough critters or fish to eat algae in the first place. I have about 150 snails in the tank at any one time, I buy about 80 every 6-8 months. In addition to fish that will take care of the algae.

Also most people seem to take normal algae cycles as Nitrate or phosphate problem. Pretty much every tank get a bad algae bloom around the 4-8 month mark and another around 2.5-3 years. Some time it's quite bad, but it will go away, you just need to get through it.

Of course you need to make sure you do have decent nutrient export, for me I still need to add Nitrates to the system, so my nutrient export is ok.

Still looking good.

Thanks!

Very nice video!
May I know which camera you used?
Thx,

iPhone 7s. The still shots are from a Nikon D7100

Looking fantastic Joe. Congrats!
Did you mean .17 ppm for phosphates?

oh no, it is 1.7 baby!

Back