JCole's big ol box of Acro's

I removed the Bashsea Bio Reactor as I felt it wasn't doing anything. With all of the rocks, etc the bio reactor wasn't necessary.

I decided to repurpose it. I am running my CARX effluent into it in hopes that the air helps off gas the excess CO2. So far it seems to be working.

Which gyre pumps are you using and how do you like them?

I am using the Jebao 180's I believe. I like them and have lasted long enough for the price. The model I have has a digital display that connects to WIFI and you can use an app to set schedules if you want too.

I just run mine at 100% all day though.

I am using the Jebao 180's I believe. I like them and have lasted long enough for the price. The model I have has a digital display that connects to WIFI and you can use an app to set schedules if you want too.

I just run mine at 100% all day though.
Thanks Josh

Busy weekend!

Cleaned 95% of the bubble algae and mounted 25 frags.

Cleaned the tank with a stainless steel tape knife. This was recommended to me and was told to round the edges and sand it. I was nervous to use it but it ended out being the best acrylic cleaner I have tried so far. It melted the Coralline like butter.

20230402_141442.jpg

Raised the halides and black boxes up about a foot. I feel I was blasting the tank with too much light considering the acros on the bottom look the best. The light looks much better now.

First batch of Phyto finished and dosed today. I will start dosing this daily now.

20230402_115225.jpg

Has anyone done a microbiome test on their system after Cipro treatment. Curious on what is left bacteria wise.

I didn't do one after the treatment. Tank is doing well right now, and I feel like I would jinx it. :) You have me thinking though. I will probably send one out at the end of the month. I am curious to see if the Oceanospirillales bacteria went down.

I didn't do one after the treatment. Tank is doing well right now, and I feel like I would jinx it. :) You have me thinking though. I will probably send one out at the end of the month. I am curious to see if the Oceanospirillales bacteria went down.

My worry would be that the Oceanospirillaceae would rebound, maybe long time from now hopefully.

My worry would be that the Oceanospirillaceae would rebound, maybe long time from now hopefully.

That is my worry as well and that is why I have enough Cipro on hand to kill an army of bad bacteria. Hopefully, I won't have to use it again but after my last experience, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. After going through what I went through twice, I learned a good deal about my system and I can spot a bacteria issue easy now.

@JCOLE , what's your impression of the SBox boards at this point?

I like them. Best color blend I have seen with black boxes. They are cheap, and easy to install. I also like that the diodes are going to be easy to replace if one goes out.

With Blues at 100% and whites at 60% the color is similar to the 400w Radiums. They complement each other nicely and I cannot even tell they are on with the halides.

I also removed all lenses so I do not have any disco effect.

Does this kill the de-ntrifying bacteria too Josh? If so, how do you handle that?

I am sure it does. It targets both gram negative and positive bacteria. It goes after the negative the hardest. Majority of nitrfying bacteria Nitrosomonas, etc are gram negative.

I honestly didn't do anything to help replenish the system. I ran the Cipro cycle for two weeks and that was it. I wanted it that way though. I had a scorched earth mentality when I dosed Cipro and wanted a clean slate. I wanted to wipe out all bacteria and let the system start back over and equalize. It worked out great so far. All corals recovered within a week after Cipro.

Now if I do it again, or recommend to anyone, then I would say different. I would say after your cipro cycle then do a couple large water changes weekly for a 2-3 weeks then add some live sand, mud, etc to help jump start the bacteria population.

I don't dose the bottled bacteria now and haven't since Cipro. I think that is what is contributing to the issues we are seeing with a lot of hobbyists these days. Nothing against them but I don't like the fact that there isn't an ingredient list on most of the bacteria products. I want to know whats in it and how much is going in with each dose.

I like them. Best color blend I have seen with black boxes. They are cheap, and easy to install. I also like that the diodes are going to be easy to replace if one goes out.

With Blues at 100% and whites at 60% the color is similar to the 400w Radiums. They complement each other nicely and I cannot even tell they are on with the halides.

I also removed all lenses so I do not have any disco effect.
Good to know. There's some negativity surrounding their quality and support but it seems to be one guy screaming on every message board he can find.
He's ignoring you Sean 😄
Time for new glasses John. :cool:

Good to know. There's some negativity surrounding their quality and support but it seems to be one guy screaming on every message board he can find.

Time for new glasses John. :cool:

I bet. There is always someone who isn't happy.

The way I look at it is they have one job. To grow coral. They seem to be doing that with no issues. Atleast, I think. Could be the halides....;) At less than $500 for new replacement boards for 8 fixtures they are not bad. Sure I could have spent $8,000 on Radions but what is the fun in that.

Back