JCole's big ol box of Acro's

@JCOLE , have you ever treated an acro with H2O2? For euphyllia I spray them directly with peroxide (for algae on the skeleton), let stand two minutes and put them back in the tank and an hour later it's like nothing happened. I'm guessing my single acro someone traded me (was told it was a miyagi tort) would not appreciate that treatment? It STN'd a bit when I first got it ( I dipped in Revive and that stopped it, so I suspect it was bugs) it then started to re-encrust over the dead stuff but some algae grew on the dead part which it also encrusted over somewhat surprisingly and has encrusted onto the frag rack too. Anyway it could still use some help, hence the peroxide question.

Any skimmer that makes cinder blocks and 5 gallon pails look small is a fine skimmer. :love:

It is a beast!! Note the beer for reference :ROFLMAO:

20230423_191018.jpg

@JCOLE , have you ever treated an acro with H2O2? For euphyllia I spray them directly with peroxide (for algae on the skeleton), let stand two minutes and put them back in the tank and an hour later it's like nothing happened. I'm guessing my single acro someone traded me (was told it was a miyagi tort) would not appreciate that treatment? It STN'd a bit when I first got it ( I dipped in Revive and that stopped it, so I suspect it was bugs) it then started to re-encrust over the dead stuff but some algae grew on the dead part which it also encrusted over somewhat surprisingly and has encrusted onto the frag rack too. Anyway it could still use some help, hence the peroxide question.

No, I have not. I have heard of others spot treating algae with a pipette. Are you wanting to treat the frag for the STN or the algae?

What type of algae? IMO, I don't know if I would use peroxide for that. I am a fan of hermits and emeralds. I have over 50 emeralds in my tank. Hermits and emeralds will pick GHA, etc clean from anything in no time.

However, If you have experience with treating other corals then I would say go for it if the algae is taking over.

It's an evil macro algae that I have fought for years. It loves to embed. This has turned into a twisted dance of who can grow over who. I hate to give up on a coral that refuses to die and I've brought sure gonners back to flourishing before. It's embarrassing but at the very least you can feel even better about your success, lol.

IMG_20230423_164255379_HDR~3.jpg

It's an evil macro algae that I have fought for years. It loves to embed. This has turned into a twisted dance of who can grow over who. I hate to give up on a coral that refuses to die and I've brought sure gonners back to flourishing before. It's embarrassing but at the very least you can feel even better about your success, lol.

View attachment 32383716

Is it just on that frag? If so, I would try the peroxide spot treatment. If not, and it is throughout the whole tank then I would recommend a Fluconazole treatment.

Is it just on that frag? If so, I would try the peroxide spot treatment. If not, and it is throughout the whole tank then I would recommend a Fluconazole treatment.
I've treated this tank with fluc for bryopsis which was a success. Had no effect on that macro (parvocaulis parvulus). My urchins eat it though. I think I am going to paintbrush some peroxide to keep it off the flesh as much as possible.

I've treated this tank with fluc for bryopsis which was a success. Had no effect on that macro (parvocaulis parvulus). My urchins eat it though. I think I am going to paintbrush some peroxide to keep it off the flesh as much as possible.

Wow. I haven't seen many algae's that Fluconazole doesnt kill. I think the peroxide and brush method sounds good and interested in seeing the results.

I was wondering when you were going to hook it up. How has it affected the skimmer performance? The only thing better than dirty refugium pics is dirty skimmer pics 😉

I started running it on Tuesday. I just moved the dial to 6 out of 10. Might be at 10 by the weekend. I can definitely smell the ozone off gassing from the skimmer.

I have a venturi on my feed pump into the skimmer. I have my CARX effluent and ozone going into the venturi. It mixes and then dumps into the skimmer body. Should help withboff gassing CO2 from the effluent as well.

It seems to be running well and I can notice a difference with water clarity. Only issue is I burned through desiccant in one day. I ended up buying an 8lb jug.

I will keep it in the skimmer until avant comes out with their reactor 2.0. I will go the reactor route once it's available.

Your tank is looking better and better with all the acros you just got recently! I took a page out of your book and decided to add 150g of water volume to my sump after reading your thread. I feel more prepared for my business trips and the hot summers moving forward.

I just got into gorgonians myself. I picked up three photosynthetic gorgs from a neighbor and also a pure white non photo gorg at the LFS recently. They seem to be doing well since I over feed my tank typically, and want to look into how ozone might be beneficial to their needs. Stupid question but if your ozone installed in your sump?

FYI I have a large colony of ATL Joleen if you're looking to replace the one you lost. I'll have to check in with Steve soon used to go down to his place to pick up frags every few months pre covid! His outdoor greenhouse setup is amazing...

Your tank is looking better and better with all the acros you just got recently! I took a page out of your book and decided to add 150g of water volume to my sump after reading your thread. I feel more prepared for my business trips and the hot summers moving forward.

I just got into gorgonians myself. I picked up three photosynthetic gorgs from a neighbor and also a pure white non photo gorg at the LFS recently. They seem to be doing well since I over feed my tank typically, and want to look into how ozone might be beneficial to their needs. Stupid question but if your ozone installed in your sump?

FYI I have a large colony of ATL Joleen if you're looking to replace the one you lost. I'll have to check in with Steve soon used to go down to his place to pick up frags every few months pre covid! His outdoor greenhouse setup is amazing...

Thank you! It is finally showing some good growth and color.

Nice! Did you get the 150 gallon Rubbermaid? That's a good size stock tank. It's so nice to have the extra volume of water. I am sure you'll love it!

I am loving my Gorgs but need to get them moved to the DT. I ended up removing the ozone for now. I ran it 24/7 for two weeks and my tank was looking too sterile. I plan on putting it back on in the future and when I do then I will run it staggered. 10 minutes for every 4 hours or something like that. I ran it into the venturi of my skimmer. Next time I will use an ozone reactor instead.

Yes, I would love a frag from you if you ever want to trade, etc. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you have.

A business trip, as well as the summer heat coming up, is exactly why I installed the new sump. I didn't get a rubbermaid but fortunately someone was offering a free tank with broken seam which I fixed. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with the new space yet but at the minimum I can move fishes around for isolation, add macros, and perhaps like you a non photosynthetic system! I'll pm you with frags info soon, and looking forward to seeing anything reef related on my flight! :D

A business trip, as well as the summer heat coming up, is exactly why I installed the new sump. I didn't get a rubbermaid but fortunately someone was offering a free tank with broken seam which I fixed. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with the new space yet but at the minimum I can move fishes around for isolation, add macros, and perhaps like you a non photosynthetic system! I'll pm you with frags info soon, and looking forward to seeing anything reef related on my flight! :D

The extra volume of water definitely helps, but my garage is starting to get very hot, so we shall see. If I keep my exhaust fan on in the garage, then the chiller doesn't kick on, and that seems like a win so far. That is good news about the extra tank, and a macro/non-photosynthetic system sounds awesome! Sounds good on the frags. I am itching to wipe the dust off my bone cutters! :)

Back