JCole's big ol empty box(at the moment)

Time to remove these urchin scratches. 40' of acrylic atleast eight times.....so the fun begins!

20240504_130309.jpg
20240504_131015.jpg

Urchins.. Ugg such good grazers but a terror. I have had them eat the silicone glue right up the sides of my aquarium.

Wow! You must have gotten some living near a power plant.

I had four of them and they were great on the rocks. The acrylic not so much. I would love to add them back but I don't know if I want to risk it again.

Last edited:
Wow! You must have gotten some living near a power plant.

I had four of them and they were great on the rocks. The glass not so much. I would love to add them again but I don't know if I want to risk it again.
I know! I’ve been eyeballing a blue tuxedo urchin, but just not sure

I know! I’ve been eyeballing a blue tuxedo urchin, but just not sure
My Blue Tuxedo is a model citizen. Never had issue with him. The Pencil Urchin on the other hand was banished to the fuge because I kept catching him eating my Purple Ribbon Gorgonian.

Update on current progress

I abandoned the DIY rockscape. The second version came off without breaking but I did not like it at all. It looked very unnatural and would have been an eyesore. What I landed on was a 50/50 approach. I made my scape with existing rock I had and then created a ton of shelf pieces out of the Portland cement. I made a mockup, and I love it so this is what I will go with. Once the rock is done, I will get everything in the tank.

I am 95% complete with the sanding. Urchin marks and scratches are gone. I just need to finish the tank off with Novus polish and it will be as good as new.

I am also going to redo my lighting. I really like T5 lighting but the flat look just doesn't do it for me. When I removed the halides,, it just never sat right with me. I am making 100W led cannons for the tank. This is one of the 10K lights on and the PAR is pretty good. 200ish at the bottom and 600 near the top. This is about a 3'x'3' area as well.

Just look at those rays and shimmer, though. I am going to be in love with this once I have everything set up.

Very nice looking shimmer! What colors did you use for the light mix? Also, very interested to see how the rockwork and shelves turned out!

Can't wait to see the rock in the tank.

Me too! Things are starting to come along now. I am setting a goal to be up and running by the end of July but it will more than likely be sooner. I don't have much left to do. I am just taking my time and not rushing anything.

Very nice looking shimmer! What colors did you use for the light mix? Also, very interested to see how the rockwork and shelves turned out!

Thanks. The phone doesn't capture the rays that well. It really is the best looking light source I have seen. It is a 10K, 100W LED COB. It has 100 1 watt diodes arranged tightly together with a 120 degree lens. It puts out a single source of light, like a halide. I made one last night with a chip that is 50/50 6500k and 440nm blue. That one looks good as well. I think I like the 10K better, though. It just looks very natural.

I have the layout of the rock work and some shelves already made from an existing run of DIY rocks. This isn't the final with the shelves, but it is similar to what I am going to do. I made 40 shelves over the weekend. Each shelf has multiple holes for frag plugs. This should make moving the corals around much easier. In person it looks good.

20240602_144107.jpg
20240602_144440.jpg
20240602_144429.jpg

Back