JCole's big ol box of Acro's

Also the red dragon. I just picked up what was sold as ORA Hawkins, ORA Orange Setosa, a pink birdsnest and a project mariculture piece

Oh yeah! I had the Red Dragon coming in but it fell though. That is a must have piece. Nothing beats a colony of it

Tank is still doing it's thing. Getting good growth and colors. Dealing with a bubble algae outbreak but I expected it. Most of the bubble algae is on the added dry rock. Some elbow grease and it will good as new.

Made a canopy out of PVC board. Blocks the light but I will need to find a way to secure the it to the light rack as it is starting to bow.

20230211_214711.jpg
20230211_214723.jpg
20230211_214734.jpg
20230211_214755.jpg

I am going through a gallon of 2-part in a week now so I decided it was time for a CARX. I went with the Reef Octopus CR5000D.

207880-sro-caclium-reactor-cr5000d-a.jpg

I went with ARM extra coarse media. I used to run Reborn but I heard the media changed. Anybody have good experience with ARM extra coarse?

Tank is still doing it's thing. Getting good growth and colors. Dealing with a bubble algae outbreak but I expected it. Most of the bubble algae is on the added dry rock. Some elbow grease and it will good as new.

Made a canopy out of PVC board. Blocks the light but I will need to find a way to secure the it to the light rack as it is starting to bow.

View attachment 32379564View attachment 32379565View attachment 32379566View attachment 32379567

I am going through a gallon of 2-part in a week now so I decided it was time for a CARX. I went with the Reef Octopus CR5000D.

View attachment 32379568

I went with ARM extra coarse media. I used to run Reborn but I heard the media changed. Anybody have good experience with ARM extra coarse?

I've used it since 2020 with no problems. I will say that it requires a little lower PH to melt. I run 6.3 ph in my GEO reactor with ATM extra course.

I've used it since 2020 with no problems. I will say that it requires a little lower PH to melt. I run 6.3 ph in my GEO reactor with ATM extra course.

Ok thanks! I read it does require a lower pH to melt. Does your GEO have two chambers? I am hoping with the 2nd chamber that it will help with the low pH of the effluent.

Calling CARX users

See video below. Does this bubble count seem right? I have my solenoid set to turn on at 6.35 and off at 6.30. It seems to take 10+ minutes to drop .05 points. It turns off for about a minute and then back on again.

How long do you think the CO2 will last at this rate?

This is my current effluent rate

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I always run MTC pro cal reactors with a steady effluent drip and CO2 about 1 bubble per second, maybe little slower

It’s unorthodox but it’s the way I learned to run those reactors and I just stuck with it

Seems to keep my Kh 9-10 dkh range calcium 450-500

Never really test Ph inside reactor

I mostly use ARM

Just watched videos

Your effluent looks too slow n CO2 too fast

I find effluent slows over time

It’s key to have a precision needle valve on co2
Not saying it can’t be adjusted without it but it’s more difficult

I believe the PH in reactor should be around 6.5-6.6

With calcium reactor I test tank Kh and adjust accordingly

Too low and I increase Co2 slightly and make sure steady effluent drip

Too high I lower Co2 slightly and make sure effluent steady drip

You have to adjust n wait 24 hrs usually to see results
Takes a little time in the beginning but once you learn how your reactor runs it’s simple

Call me crazy but I always run MTC pro cal reactors with a steady effluent drip and CO2 about 1 bubble per second, maybe little slower

It’s unorthodox but it’s the way I learned to run those reactors and I just stuck with it

Seems to keep my Kh 9-10 dkh range calcium 450-500

Never really test Ph inside reactor

I mostly use ARM

That's how I am running it now. I have made adjustments since posting those videos and now I have a constant flow of CO2 and the reactor has been steady between 6.34-6.37. I just have the solenoid shut off it if it ever gets too low.

I am using the extra coarse and I have seen where others keep theirs around 6.3 for melting.

What about using magnets on the PVC board for the canopy

That is plan A. I have a ton of magnets to try out and hopefully they will hold. The PVC boards started to bow after a couple weeks so I hope the magnets will be strong enough. I plan on working on something this weekend to see if I can make it work.

I don't really have a plan B so hopefully it works...

Tank is doing well. Moved away from two-part and the CARX is doing a great job at keeping everything stable.

I haven't taken any new pictures since the tank was set up, so I snapped a couple tonight. Nothing crazy but PE and colors are coming back!

bonsai (1 of 1).JPG
hulk (1 of 1).JPG
disney (1 of 1).JPG

Back