JohnL's 20 Gallon Nano Reef

You should be able to grow anything you want in there. Any thoughts on your stocking plan?

Cool, I never spent much time with sps and prefer lower lighting, lower flow of LPS with softies. Having said that, some one traded me a green monti and some kind of acro tort recently. The monti has grown like gang busters and looks fantastic but the acro has headed for brown town. I moved the acro to within an inch of my surface and a higher flow zone so we'll see what happens. Most of the day is only about 100-150par in my tank with a peak of an hour with 300 par. Not ideal for an acro.

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Most of the day is only about 100-150par in my tank with a peak of an hour with 300 par. Not ideal for an acro.

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Thank you, me too ?. Do you have any recommendations on par meters?

Apogee are the gold standard. The SQ-420 is good value if you don't mind not having a physical meter but needing to plug into USB instead. I personally use a Seneye Reef. There's some argument about accuracy with certain versions ( V4 specifically) but they're past v6 now if I recall and whatever issues have been resolved. They update firmware automatically anyway. I would consider the seneye the best value but you also need a computer/laptop near by. Considering you basically set up your lights and then put the meter in a drawer, it might be a best option to just rent one from BRS ( or any retailer who rents them) or even get one from a local reef club.

Apogee are the gold standard. The SQ-420 is good value if you don't mind not having a physical meter but needing to plug into USB instead. I personally use a Seneye Reef. There's some argument about accuracy with certain versions ( V4 specifically) but they're past v6 now if I recall and whatever issues have been resolved. They update firmware automatically anyway. I would consider the seneye the best value but you also need a computer/laptop near by. Considering you basically set up your lights and then put the meter in a drawer, it might be a best option to just rent one from BRS ( or any retailer who rents them) or even get one from a local reef club.

Thanks for the good information. ?

Added auto top off today.

Attachments

• photo412164.jpg
    photo412164.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
I replaced the dead rock with 15 lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics. Very nice rock with coralline algae and orange sponge on most pieces. The rock at the top right was purchased from a lfs (Pets Warehouse). The smaller pieces on the sand were gifted by a lfs (Advanced Marine Aquatics).

Last edited:
Added a fire shrimp, court jester goby, yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny and wyoming white clownfish yesterday.

Attachments

• photo412209.jpg
    photo412209.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • photo412212.jpg
    photo412212.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • photo412207.jpg
    photo412207.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • photo412210.jpg
    photo412210.jpg