Keep losing fish

BTW - Cryptocaryon irritans (saltwater ich) can persist in the tank for up to 72 days. Not sure if that's your issue, but the fallow period is considerably longer than a month.

Calibrating a refractometer with RO water is not completely accurate. Spend a few bucks on calibration solution.

I don’t think this is the cause, but have you checked for stray voltage?

I completely agree that you should be quarantining new fish.

How soon are fish dying after they have been added? The 6 line was the only fish to survive any length of time? How long was it in there before you gave it away?

I don’t think a 45 minute acclimation is the culprit. Long acclimation are more of a concern when a fish is shipped and has been in the bag for a couple of days and waste builds up. They can’t deposit too much waste in a short trip home from the LFS.

Are all fish coming from the same store? Years back I noticed a pattern that I lost several fish during quarantine that had come from the same store, including warranty replacements of the same kind of fish. Got one from someplace else and no issues. I steered away from that LFS after that, although I had gotten healthy coral from them. How long it the drive home and what kind of weather? If it is particular hot or cold out, I take a small foam cooler with me to bring new livestock home in. It may not be necessary, but is easy enough to do.

I agree that if there is some kind of chemical contamination, your CUC would likely be showing some symptoms.

Sorry, I don’t have any other thoughts to help you.

Thanks a lot Silly. They’re going to check tomorrow when they come out for stray voltage, but I don’t think there is any.

I had a couple of clowns last a month or so before they died. The wrasse was in there for a month or so as well before i gave him back.

They are all coming from the same store, but I’ve bought from them in the past with no issues. I feel like it has to be something I’m doing, and not them.

The trip home is 25-30 minutes and the weather is pretty normal. I don’t leave them in my car or anything so outside temp shouldn’t impact much. I live in Orlando, FL but this has been all over this winter so the hot months aren’t the factor.

One other thing I mentioned to them yesterday that I wonder might be doing it.

I have an icecap protein skimmer and when I clean the cup I use tap water and a toothbrush. I haven’t been drying it out before putting it back on the skimmer.

Do you think the residual tap water could be the culprit? I will of course be drying it very well from now on. I didn’t know that was a concern.

No residual tap water wouldn't be the issue. If I had to guess there is a disease present in the tank. 30 days fallow is not long enough to clear many of them. In some cases no fallow period would do

Ok, I’m definitely not adding anything else to the tank until I can pin it down. If not, I’m going just wait a long while. As mentioned before, I don’t want to add anything else just to have them die.

Thanks everyone.

Somebody already mentioned it, but make sure to check the salinity of the tank/water the fish are in at the store. Many stores keep their fish in fish only systems and keep the salinity very low. A 45 minute acclimation is not enough to bring the fish up to 1.025 or 1.026 and can cause fatal but slow moving damage to the fish.

I have an icecap protein skimmer and when I clean the cup I use tap water and a toothbrush. I haven't been drying it out before putting it back on the skimmer.

Do you think the residual tap water could be the culprit? I will of course be drying it very well from now on. I didn't know that was a concern.

It isn't. Municipal tapwater contains either chlorine or chloramine in concentrations of about 2 to 4 ppm. At that concentration, you'd have to intentionally add at least a couple of gallons to your reef to actually damage the life in it.

I'm still voting for the LFS keeping their fish at 1.015 (and your reef at 1.026), or a disease. Given that you've never seen symptoms, I'm thinking that the first may be more likely. Either way, the solution is to set up a quarantine tank.

Take your refractometer to that store and every store and check there fish tanks, not the invert tanks, against your tank water. It doesn't have to be accurate, just relatively equal.
If you want accuracy, buy a bottle of 35ppt calibration solution.
Match your QT water to bag water while it is floating for 20 minute temperature acclimation. Then just dump the new arrival in, don't drip. Observe for 2 weeks at least.

I have an icecap protein skimmer and when I clean the cup I use tap water and a toothbrush. I haven't been drying it out before putting it back on the skimmer.

Do you think the residual tap water could be the culprit? I will of course be drying it very well from now on. I didn't know that was a concern.

no

Back