KEEPING SPEARERS

ISFRAEL

HAS ANYONE EVER SUCCESFULLY KEPT A SPEARER AND IF SO HOW MUCH DIFFERENT ARE THEY TO KEEP THAN A SMASHER.

Hey ISFRAEL,
I so far successfully keep two species of spearers. unfortunately I have no idea what species they are but either way I have two now. The first one I got about four months ago and it is a beautiful specimen. It is about 8-9 inches in length and is basically zebra striped all down its body including its raptorial appendeges. Most spearers tend to burrow in soft substrate like fine sand rather than costruct burrow out of rock. A much bigger tank is needed for a large spearer than a smasher (IMO). I have it in a 20gallon which is too small i believe. I went to my local beach and got alot of sand and made about a 5 inch sandbed in which after aobut a month my shrimp constructed a burrow about one and a half feet on length total. It started digging down horizontally but when i treached the bottom it went vertical and the burrow keeps getting longer every day. As for feeding I started off with live goldfish cause that is all it would accept but now due to nutritional reasons feed krill, squid, and any other frozen food i can get my hands on. The shrimp has molted twice since Ive had it so i think it is happy. My ohter spearer is only about 3 inches and seems to prefer constructing a burrow out of rocksand other things in the tank. Feeding is teh same. This one is completely yellow-orange. To answer your question though as long as you provide the correct substrate requirements they seem as easy to keep as smashers.

Noidster

email me if you have any questions bignoid949@hotmail.com

Hey Isfrael,

Yeah noidsters large spearer is pretty wicked...I WANT HIM!
:p I have a spearer about 2' in leanth and is the same species as noidsters yellow one. Though it's coloration is different. He's basically a green and blue camoflage. It's relativly easy i would say to keep most species of mantis shrimp. They are the cockroaches of the sea. Just make sure before you buy one that you do a little research on the species your getting and what kind of habitat it prefers.

pea's

teckt

mail me at: tecktron_@hotmail.com

THANKS FOR THE HELP NOIDSTER & TECKT

ILL WILL HOPEFULLY GET MY SPEARER IN A FEW WEEKS BUT WILL THE 18X10X12 TANK IVE GOT BE OK?

I THINK I MIGHT GET SOME SPECIALLY MADE TANKS THAT ARE DEEPER AND HIGHER BECAUSE BY THE TIME I GET A DECENT SUBSTRATE LEVEL I DONT THINK I WILL HAVE THAT MUCH WATER LEFT.

WHAT ARE THE DIMENSIONS OF YOURE SPEARER TANK NOIDSTER?

I WANT TO SET UP 4 TANKS BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP ANY KIND OF MANTIS IN.

ANY TANK DIMENSIONS YOU CAN SUGGEST WOULD BE GREAT AS I WANT TO GET A CUSTOM CABINET MADE TO KEEP THEM ALL IN.

HEY NOIDSTER & TECKT HAVE YOU GOT ANY PICS OF THESE SPEARERS & YOURE TANK SETUPS?

[Edited by ISFRAEL on 05-06-2001 at 08:10 PM]

Back