Complete beginner here! Just wanted to say hi.

TikiThunder

Greetings from Creve Coeur! Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've kept freshwater in the past, and have always wanted to try my hand at the salt side. My wife and I welcomed our second son in December, and I've needed something to keep me going in those late night feedings so I've been researching reef tanks hard. I've just about made it through BRS's entire youtube catelog. I have permission from the wife, a place picked out in the house, and am just looking for the right deal to come along on a 50 or 60 gallon tank.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this community here in town! If anyone can suggest a local shop that is good for beginners, I'd love to hear about it. I also have a strong back and a weak mind, so if anyone ever needs a hand lifting something heavy and doesn't mind the dozen questions that will come along with it, just let me know. Hope to see some of you around one day!

Cheers!
-Kevin

Welcome to Reef Central! I've been in the hobby for a while, and I really like Seascape Studio & the Corner Reef. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, there's a Facebook group that's really active if you want to meet more locals.

Welcome to RC! Not from StL but I know @griss just recently posted a list of LFS’s but I can’t find it.

Welcome Kevin. I've been in the hobby since the mid 1980's so I've seen a lot of LFS come and go over the years. Here's my take on the LFS in our area. Unfortunately, being in Creve Coeur there's isn't a really good LFS (at least that I know of) near you. I'm in the same boat out in Wildwood.

Petland (Wentzville) - Never been there, but heard they have SW.
Marine Solutions (St. Charles) - Haven't been there in years so, I'm unsure how good they are.
Corals & More (St. Charles) - I've only been there once and (during COVID). At the time, they had very limited livestock but that could have been due to COVID lockdowns.
Aqua World (Ellisville) - Awesome for FW and Pond, SW is very limited and pricy. But the people that work there are very knowledgeable.
Petco (Ellisville) - Hit or miss on livestock and the health of the livestock. I have gotten a nice LTA, some Clarkii Clowns, and an Orchid Dottyback from them that I've been happy with.
Petco (Fenton) - Good selection of fish, corals & inverts, generally good health.
Petland (Fenton) - Went there a couple months ago and they do NOT carry SW livestock. They guy said the Wentzville store does have SW livestock.
The Corner Reef (South County) - Good selection and health.
SeaScape Studios (South County) - Haven't been there in years, but they're still supposedly pretty good.
Art of Aquaria (South County) - Never been there and don't know much about them.
Salty Underground (South County) - Never bought from them, but they are not a walk in store. However, locals can buy online and pickup to avoid shipping costs.

Welcome to Reef Central! I've been in the hobby for a while, and I really like Seascape Studio & the Corner Reef. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, there's a Facebook group that's really active if you want to meet more locals.
Thanks so much! Would love to join that FB group, how do I find it?

Welcome Kevin. I've been in the hobby since the mid 1980's so I've seen a lot of LFS come and go over the years. Here's my take on the LFS in our area. Unfortunately, being in Creve Coeur there's isn't a really good LFS (at least that I know of) near you. I'm in the same boat out in Wildwood.

Petland (Wentzville) - Never been there, but heard they have SW.
Marine Solutions (St. Charles) - Haven't been there in years so, I'm unsure how good they are.
Corals & More (St. Charles) - I've only been there once and (during COVID). At the time, they had very limited livestock but that could have been due to COVID lockdowns.
Aqua World (Ellisville) - Awesome for FW and Pond, SW is very limited and pricy. But the people that work there are very knowledgeable.
Petco (Ellisville) - Hit or miss on livestock and the health of the livestock. I have gotten a nice LTA, some Clarkii Clowns, and an Orchid Dottyback from them that I've been happy with.
Petco (Fenton) - Good selection of fish, corals & inverts, generally good health.
Petland (Fenton) - Went there a couple months ago and they do NOT carry SW livestock. They guy said the Wentzville store does have SW livestock.
The Corner Reef (South County) - Good selection and health.
SeaScape Studios (South County) - Haven't been there in years, but they're still supposedly pretty good.
Art of Aquaria (South County) - Never been there and don't know much about them.
Salty Underground (South County) - Never bought from them, but they are not a walk in store. However, locals can buy online and pickup to avoid shipping costs.
Super helpful. Thank you so much! And that's a long time in the hobby! Have you had a tank running since then? Any tips for long term success? Really impressive, Sir.

Super helpful. Thank you so much! And that's a long time in the hobby! Have you had a tank running since then? Any tips for long term success? Really impressive, Sir.
No more impressive than anyone else who's been in the hobby a long time ;)

Well, with the exception of a year or (maybe) two I've always had a marine or reef tank. I don't recall all the exact years, but it started with my parents buying a used fish only 200 gallon saltwater tank in the mid 80's. They kept a puffer, triggers, damsels and a snowflake eel.

After I graduated college, and my wife and I were living in an apartment, I set up my first reef in 1990, it was a 30 gallon. I later upgraded to a 58 gallon reef and added a 55 gallon fish only.

When we moved into our first house in 1992, I downgraded to a 15 gallon for a bit. Then, my parents divorced and were getting rid of their 200 so I upgraded to a 200 gallon reef. I also ended up setting up a 75 gallon clownfish and anemone tank at that house.

When we were getting ready to move into our current house (20 some odd years ago) I decided I finally wanted my dream tank. So, during the move, I set up a 350 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank in the basement of the new house and moved all my livestock into that. After we got settled into the house, I ordered a 450 gallon 6' x 4' x 30" tank and ran that for quite a few years.

As the kids got more involved in sports (I was helping coach all three of their teams), I just didn't have the time to maintain such a large tank. I sold the tank to a local hobbyist and, "downgraded" by buying a used 250 from a friend that was getting out of the hobby. I built the 250 into a wall in the basement and literally the day before I was going to order the live rock, I got laid off. So, I sold the 250 and was out of the hobby for around a year.

Later set up a 40 breeder and then upgraded to a 92 corner bowfront. Due to the shape of the 92, I found it difficult to light and perform maintenance, so in 2017 I downgraded back to a 40 breeder and also purchased a 75 gallon. My intent was to make the 40 a Caribbean tank and the 75 an Indo-Pacific tank. Well, the best laid plans... Anyway, the 75 has been in my basement empty since 2017. I will (hopefully) soon move a wall in our basement to create a fish room and upgrade my current 40 to the 75.

As far as tips for success in the long term.
1. Read, research and ask questions, but you're already doing that.
2. Remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Take your time and go slow, don't make drastic changes.
3. There are a TON of correct ways to be successful in this hobby. I've found that just because something works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for everyone.
4. Water changes.

Last edited:
Back