Kenya tree suddenly rotting at base???

Ruise

Got home tonight and my kenya tree, which was my most reliable coral, suddenly looks real bad.

keny_zpslrfz9xzh.jpg

Temperature's a bit higher than I'd like at 81F, good flow, good lighting. Haven't checked parameters in a while.

Last time this happened to a devil's hand coral, I tried cutting the bad part off and it still died...:'(

Being that this coral in particular is extremely durable I would just cut the healthy portion off & be done with it. Necrosis is something you really don't want to fool around with, if that is in fact what's going on here.

Haven't checked parameters in a while.

Last time this happened to a devil's hand coral, I tried cutting the bad part off and it still died...:'(

I'll state the obvious maybe it's time to check your parameters.

I cut them and iodine bathed the worse-looking one, and they've been looking fine except that I did a water change today and one of them must have fell off the rock from the movement and has gone missing. Which is pretty impressive considering it's a pretty small tank. Looked all over. ;_;

The water temp was up to 86 degrees last week which could have something to do with the initial problem. I propped the lid ajar and it's been more stable not going above 82 since then. Nitrates before the water change were also kinda high (40ppm). Carbonate hardness too.

Waay late to the party but did your kenya make it? Sounds like your nitrates and temps are waay too high. Try adding a fan to your room. Perhaps more water changes less feeding could I turn lower your nitrates. If not maybe vodka dosing

i have a rediculous amount of kenya tree and it often looks terrible one day and great the next. it's really hard to kill.

it was the temp spike. I also had kenya tree until the programmed thermostat was adjusted to 90'F to save the school money. Never recovered so dont let it sit and rot.

Temp is too high. Is there anything else nearby that is stinging it? I just moved a leather away from my anemone which was stinging it. Cause the lower part to turn brown. I moved it to an isolated location and mine is doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arnallop3, way late to the answer but the one Kenya is doing better now. It is thiccer than ever, as the children say. The other that went missing never got found. I'm sure it must have died and been consumed by the critters. And the temperature hasn't gotten above 82 since I propped the lid open, but I think I should buy a fan next year. It's just a pain since I'm out of outlets so I'll have to buy one of those fancy digital timer outlet ports to go with it. No stings, I don't have too many corals yet so they stay out of each others way. They just get brushed by caulerpa fronds a lot.

Back