PAR!

Anemone

Cloning Around
Staff member
RC Mod
Premium Member
Even old dogs can learn new tricks...

In my 30 years in the hobby, I've had quite a bit of success with VHO, CF, and MH lighting. After retiring in 2018, I set up a new tank (Red Sea Reefer 425XL), and got a Kessil AP 700 LED lighting system. The store I purchased this from warned that LED lights are strong for their wattage, and advised that I not set the lights to 100% and to be sure to acclimate new corals.

"Okay, no problem, I've been doing this a while," thought I.

I had my AP 700 set to 70%. Bought some SPS and LPS frags, started them low in the tank, and slowly moved them up higher, day-by-day. Within a couple of weeks, they had all died.

Lowered my max lighting setting to 50% and tried again. Same result.

Okay, it was a fairly new tank, and nitrates were high and phosphates were low, so maybe that was the problem. Spent some time fixing that, and tried again. Same result.

Raised the lighting max to 60% and focused on softies for a while. Got a Kenya Tree Coral (KTC) frag, and that did fine. Correction, that ran amuck in my tank and was EVERYWHERE! Well, except for the rock peak where I put a RBTA (hey, I gotta have a RBTA!). Now I have eight. :rolleyes:

It's been a few years, and I was really tired of all the Kenya Tree everywhere, so I spent an afternoon removing several hundred KTC frags, and cleared 99.9% of them out of the tank (there's still a few small offshoots that I missed, but I'll be getting them the next time my hands are in the tank!).

My water parameters are perfect, so I figured I'd test the water with a couple of SPS frags. No bueno!

So, I bought a PAR meter (Apogee MQ-510) to see what was going on with the light in my tank. I should have done this YEARS AGO! At the full 60% lighting (which is only on 3 hours a day as the cycle ramps up and down), the lower parts of my tank were in the 30-40 PAR range, and the upper parts 110-140 PAR range (with glitter lines sometimes shooting the PAR up to the 160-180 range).

Well, no wonder my SPS frags were failing! Unless they were at the very top of the tank, directly under the lights, they wouldn't get even the minimal amount of light they need to survive (and the only spot meeting that specification is occupied by a bunch of RBTAs!).

Today I set the Kessil program to 80% of max intensity, and many of the PAR readings were in the 100-150 range (although not lower in the tank). After a couple of days, I'll be bumping the setting up to maximum intensity (100%) and see what the readings are then. After that, I may increase the length of the max photoperiod.

I try very hard to not be a "gadget reefer," but after all these years I've discovered a PAR meter is a needed tool in this hobby (especially with LEDs)!

Kevin

Even old dogs can learn new tricks...

In my 30 years in the hobby, I've had quite a bit of success with VHO, CF, and MH lighting. After retiring in 2018, I set up a new tank (Red Sea Reefer 425XL), and got a Kessil AP 700 LED lighting system. The store I purchased this from warned that LED lights are strong for their wattage, and advised that I not set the lights to 100% and to be sure to acclimate new corals.

"Okay, no problem, I've been doing this a while," thought I.

I had my AP 700 set to 70%. Bought some SPS and LPS frags, started them low in the tank, and slowly moved them up higher, day-by-day. Within a couple of weeks, they had all died.

Lowered my max lighting setting to 50% and tried again. Same result.

Okay, it was a fairly new tank, and nitrates were high and phosphates were low, so maybe that was the problem. Spent some time fixing that, and tried again. Same result.

Raised the lighting max to 60% and focused on softies for a while. Got a Kenya Tree Coral (KTC) frag, and that did fine. Correction, that ran amuck in my tank and was EVERYWHERE! Well, except for the rock peak where I put a RBTA (hey, I gotta have a RBTA!). Now I have eight. :rolleyes:

It's been a few years, and I was really tired of all the Kenya Tree everywhere, so I spent an afternoon removing several hundred KTC frags, and cleared 99.9% of them out of the tank (there's still a few small offshoots that I missed, but I'll be getting them the next time my hands are in the tank!).

My water parameters are perfect, so I figured I'd test the water with a couple of SPS frags. No bueno!

So, I bought a PAR meter (Apogee MQ-510) to see what was going on with the light in my tank. I should have done this YEARS AGO! At the full 60% lighting (which is only on 3 hours a day as the cycle ramps up and down), the lower parts of my tank were in the 30-40 PAR range, and the upper parts 110-140 PAR range (with glitter lines sometimes shooting the PAR up to the 160-180 range).

Well, no wonder my SPS frags were failing! Unless they were at the very top of the tank, directly under the lights, they wouldn't get even the minimal amount of light they need to survive (and the only spot meeting that specification is occupied by a bunch of RBTAs!).

Today I set the Kessil program to 80% of max intensity, and many of the PAR readings were in the 100-150 range (although not lower in the tank). After a couple of days, I'll be bumping the setting up to maximum intensity (100%) and see what the readings are then. After that, I may increase the length of the max photoperiod.

I try very hard to not be a "gadget reefer," but after all these years I've discovered a PAR meter is a needed tool in this hobby (especially with LEDs)!

Kevin
Yep, I was messing with some led lights today (Euroquatics Angel) that will be over a 40 breeder. I loaded their default 20k program for a quick test - 1000 par at the surface and 350 at the bottom. Definitely need par meter for leds...

Well, today I put my AP700 up to 100% and was disappointed by the results. On the sand, at the front corner of my 22" deep tank, my PAR reading was only 30-50 (shimmer lines create ever-changing readings).

Interestingly, the Kessil has a color-wheel control setup (with half the wheel shading from purple to light blue, and the other half green to red), and my mid-day color was in the "sky-blue" zone. I found that if I moved the color to the deepest blue (purple), I increased my PAR by about 75%, to 60-90. So now my daily cycle stays purple (with red and green added in to give a lighter/whiter appearance) throughout its program.

I was also disappointed by the PAR at the surface of my tank. It registered a mere 250 almost directly (12") under one of the LED emitters. MY AP 700 just hit 6 years old, but what is the effective life expectancy of a LED fixture?

Kevin

Last edited:
Well, today I put my AP700 up to 100% and was disappointed by the results. On the sand, at the front corner of my 22" deep tank, my PAR reading was only 30-50 (shimmer lines create ever-changing readings).

Interestingly, the Kessil has a color-wheel control setup (with half the wheel being shading from purple to light blue, and the other half green to red), and my mid-day color was in the "sky-blue" zone. I found that if I moved the color to the deepest blue (purple), I increased my PAR by about 75%, to 60-90. So now my daily cycle stays purple (with red and green added in to give a lighter/whiter appearance) throughout its program.

I was also disappointed by the PAR at the surface of my tank. It registered a mere 250 almost directly (12") under one of the LED emitters. MY AP 700 just hit 6 years old, but what is the effective life expectancy of a LED fixture?

Kevin
I think they usually throw 50,000 hours around but that is the life expectancy of the diodes not the persistence of the spectrum or intensity. I'm sure you've had spectrum shift and intensity loss after 6 yrs but the light could likely last 6 more.

I never did either but don’t want to stick 12 montis around the tank without knowing they’ll be receiving enough light

If electricity were dirt-cheap, would you go back to MH?
In my mind leds don't really use less energy if you want the same growth (in SPS land anyway). I'm currently T5 plus led strips and my T5's are overdue for a change. That's my issue with MH and T5, their longevity. I never once cared about the power usage. If CMH came in more reef friendly color temperatures I would definitely consider that. 20,000 hrs and still have 80%+ spectrum and intensity is totally fine IMO, 4100k not so much.

Not spending 500 bucks for one test
You could be a pioneer and try one these. Vacuum pack the sensor and Bob's your uncle. 50-60 bucks on Amazon.

FH-100 PAR Meter - VABIRA – LED Grow Light with Intelligent Control Manufacturer

par1.png

Back