Killed my tank.....

Sorry for the loss. I run dual temp sensors on my RKL. 1 in my overflow on display tank and one by my return pump in the sump. Always have alarms and triggers to turn on fan or heater. Also have a regular tank thermometer to make sure my RKL is reading accurately.

Sorry for your loss NASA, hope it recovers well for u. It's easy for me to say but try not to let it get u down to much. U did as much preparation & research in everything on your build as anyone could have so everything went well once setup. Dont let one thing kinda overlooked discourage u, I know it's hard with all the work u put in on the build.

I would recommend heaters that have a internal thermostat & like they already mentioned, turn it a couple degrees higher then your apex as a extra failsafe. I know that's not what your issues were but I'm sure u will be implementing more failsafes. I don't have a apex so I have my heaters on a inkbird controller & I love it. I went forever with no failsafes on my heaters but I was lucky I never had issues. It does make me feel better having it on the controller with the heater thermostat as a failsafe.

Again, so sorry for your problems but try to have a merry Christmas

On the Ranco temp controller - I had an "industrial strength one" fail and take out a tank when I was out of town for Thanksgiving about 15 years ago. In that case the controller failed in the ON position for the chiller and I came home to a tank that was around 65 degrees. This eventually led to me getting my first Aqua Controller 3. Now I have failsafe alerts for conditions as the other posters have said.

Today I have an Apex (now called the Classic) and I still wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and hook up the AC3 that's sitting in a box somewhere if for no other reason than to have an independent alert system...

My condolences for your loss though :(.

Back