Large Angels or Butterflies first?

Rather than use eggcrate as a physical barrier, I use it as a large, scary thing that keeps the established fish away from the new fish - the established fish is scared of the eggcrate so it won't go near, and the new fish will tend to stay near the scary item for protection.

I have not had a lot of success using egg crate to section off a tank - a determined fish will usually find a way around it, then the two are isolated together, which is worse.

Agreed, have 2 scribbleds that were doing this to one another... now they are in separate tanks but the one is cover in the worse case of lymph I have ever seen in person. Going to start hydrogen peroxide treatment this weekend for it.

I have to disagree that the Blueface is more mellow than the Emperor. I had a large (6-7") Blueface that absolutely ruled over a similarly sized Emperor. No real damage done to either one, and they were together for years, but the grunting matches were fun to listen to. It was the most beautiful fish I ever owned! Plus he ate all my annoying Kenya trees!

Would I be better off with a Blueface and Emperor or Regal and Emperor?

Dustyuk is able to keep an Emperor, Regal, Queen and Bandit in the same tank with several types of Butterflies so it appears possible.

Agreed, have 2 scribbleds that were doing this to one another... now they are in separate tanks but the one is cover in the worse case of lymph I have ever seen in person. Going to start hydrogen peroxide treatment this weekend for it.

Hope he gets better. Scribbleds are on my "that would really be nice to have some day when I hit the lottery" list.

Would I be better off with a Blueface and Emperor or Regal and Emperor?

Dustyuk is able to keep an Emperor, Regal, Queen and Bandit in the same tank with several types of Butterflies so it appears possible.

I find that angels generally will get along if the tank is big enough. However, they do each have their own individual personality, so it depends on the fish. So I would say pick the fishes you want and try them out. If they don't get along, separate them.

If a physical separation is needed, I have built an acclimitization box out of eggcrate and zipties. I put the new fish inside, and let them out when it looks like all aggression has subsided.
This.
When I had to re-add my Powder Blue, I built the biggest one that would fit inside the top bracing, about 20" x 20" x 12" tall. I suspended it with fishing line from the canopy.
He spent about 4 days in it to see if he would learn to play nice. Now it stores flat in the stand, ready for instant action if needed again.

I have a 7" Queen, 6.5" Emperor, 7" Scribbled and a 4.5" Blue face...The emperor was the first fish in the tank and i did have to put him in my sump for 2 weeks to calm down as he didn't like the blue face and scribbled when i added them but now they all get along fine. Re-arranging the rock work also works well.

Back