Largo 300 new build

janes_mw

Well, finally getting around to doing it. Got all the stuff (sort of in the pic). 8 foot tank 30 inches tall 24 wide. Building stand over next couple days. Hope to have running by my Christmas break. Been collecting stuff for awhile. Contents of my 120 (6 mo old) will be going into this. Some details: 300 gallon (96x30tallx24wide) Modified herbie overflows, LED with t5 sup lighting, bubble king 250 skimmer, Zeovit user so Avast Marine Tumbler for stones, Geo 624 Ca Rx with Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser Reg, Reef Keeper Elite (for moment, will upgrade to RK new system or back to Apex like I used to have), sump running 2ea 7inch 25 micron socks with ATO and adjustable sump level, wave makers (will be figured out as I set up but I have 2- RW20s, 1 Vortech MP40, 1 WP25 to play with), Fluval Sea Sp6 return pump, and other stuff surely forgetting.

anyway, sure I will get alot of opinions, but that is where I learn..... :)

Pile of "stuff"

120 humming along just fine

Hey Mike are you doing a rock wall in the 300? The one in your current tank is a great piece of art think of what you can do with 8 ft to play with

Unacceptable amount of pics for such a large tank Mike. Can't wait to see this thing humming along like the 120.

Hey Mike are you doing a rock wall in the 300? The one in your current tank is a great piece of art think of what you can do with 8 ft to play with

Aaron - Yes, but haven't figured out exactly how i want to do it. But, as I do I will take some photos and post.

Hey Mike (crazyeyes), yes, I know. I just went and picked lumber for the stand so I am getting excited to start it today. I will post more later tonight ..... I hope.

Janes mw I will be fallowing along as I am building the exact same size tank. I have been collecting equipment the same as you for some time now. I went the same way with lights. I went with an Itech 400 skimmer. Reeflo dart gold. I have read about Zeovite and am looking forward to seeing how it works for you.
Post more pics

That's ambitious to have it running by Christmas - maybe I'm just projecting though. This 150 that I got from Julian on Oct 12 is a slow build and it pretty much already had everything (except I wanted to re-do the plumbing). I'm waiting on an RODI, cutting into the wall behind my bathroom for a water change station and finishing up the plumbing (returns and drains done, plumbing in a UV, Chiller and potential future line for reactors and some method to siphon the tank during a water change).

I'll also have a 320 build coming up - 8 foot x 32 wide x 24 high - one of those new AGE tanks with the PVC bottom. Tank's ordered and paid for - just waiting on the delivery.

got a couple hours to get the stand started.
Sirrealism - If you need help on Zeovit, holler, been a user of it since 2008.
Ted - Prolly over ambitious for sure :).

Start of Stand, still have some work to go, but I only had 2.5 hours today to work on. Had to dig out my tools from attic, so that took a little time :(.

Stand looks great. I was so worried about the weight that i was going to use 2x6 for the corners and the middle but now I am pretty sure I can get away with 2x4s after seeing yours. I will be using 2x6s for the top just like yours. I was also thinking of 2 supports instead of just one because of the 8' but if yours looks so good I think I can get away with the same design.

Stand looks great. I was so worried about the weight that i was going to use 2x6 for the corners and the middle but now I am pretty sure I can get away with 2x4s after seeing yours. I will be using 2x6s for the top just like yours. I was also thinking of 2 supports instead of just one because of the 8' but if yours looks so good I think I can get away with the same design.

Rocket Engineer has a stand build guide if you do a search on here.

still a work in progress. On this stand it is for an acrylic tank so the whole bottom needs to transfer the weight to the supporting structures and then into the columns. On a glass tank that is typically "framed" the weight is transferred to the rim of the tank then into the columns. sooo, this design has to basically take 1 lb per sq inch and then translate to the support beams into the columns.

So you will see over the course of the next day or so, some more support in the top (such as a load bearing floor) to support the weight.

anyway, I spent a couple hours on the stand today. The "white" in the photo's is a pvc liner that I am putting in so basically water barrier.

Here is todays progress anyway!
mike

added vertical support and bottom:

"skinning" the interior:

Adding PVC liner:

Time for a few beers:

Front tomorrow with doors, trim, and final support structure for stand

Mike, I see you started the fill test. So you now ruled out that the stand holds 2 full beers :). Sent you a text

Very nice. Thanks for the input 2. Mine is glass so i dont have to have the load on the top but like you said around the rim.
Thank you Anbuso I found that post

Wow, u could drive a tank across that thing. What r u a engineer or something? Very nice.....Could also put six 15 gal kegs on top and five down below...Let's party....sd

LOL Steve (Seaduck)! Yes, Keg-er-ator will be next to it!!

Today's progress - basically stand done, need to fill holes, sand, stain and poly :)

Doors are simple design, just catch at top and push in and set. I like because I can remove doors and get out of my way!

Back