LED and coralline algae.

Sunstar

I have to wonder how common it is for coralline not to bother growing in tanks with LED.

I know in my 10 gallon, with dying t5ho bulbs I had coralline growing within days of swapping my old leaking tank out for a newer one. the back of the tank has a heavy coating now, an the front needs regular scraping. The water in the two tanks are similar.

I do see pink spots on what started out as dry rock, it is very green as well. but nothing else has this.

How common is this?

edit: I do hope this is in the right section.

I have pretty much no coralline growth as well, but I couldn't tell you if that's my LEDs, or if it's my passive attempts to keep my system coralline-free (hate cleaning it).

I have found that coralline doesn't like very intense light. When I kept lower powered LEDs there was plenty of growth, but when upgrading my LEDs for higher intensity the growth all but stopped unless the spot was in the shadows.

I run finnex 50\50 on my eel tank and photon48s on my 90 reef, both grow coraline real well. My 90 does have an urchin in there, so the spread has been slow, but I still see coraline growing.

Light Power harm.
He does not like white light.
He loves the water flow.

See how it grows in nature. :)

I run two Kessil A360NEs and definitely have coralline, though admittedly it grows better in my sump - but there's no CUC or anything eating it in there. In my display, the snails (mostly trochus) seem to eat it, especially on the overflow. It grows great on my rocks, pump, and glass.

My coraline grows at almost nuisance rates. The overflow and part of the back I do not clean is completely covered. The corners of my tank need to be scraped often. The way I run my tank blows the coraline does not like high light theory.

hmmm interesting. it is slow growing on my rocks, but I suspect perhaps direction of the light is the key.

I have the same issue. I have a 90g tank and 2 Kessil 360we's. I currently have NO fish but a few corals which are doing great. Very light colored coraline grows on the glass but not on the rocks! I dont get it. My Ca is at 410, Alk at 9, and Mg at 1400

I had coralline growing on pieces of egg crate on day 9 of my setup. Using established live rock of course, but regardless, it's not LED related. I run 2xA360WE

I get a tone of good coralline growth under leds, just the right leds, the right dosing and more!
lat-20-7-15-_zpswbxpuwnb.jpg

Well I dont have any idea what could be holding it back. I'm not even feeding more than once every couple of weeks and that's just to the shrimp and anems. I will do a Triton test (just ordered 3 pack). Hopefully that will bring up something interesting. Also, I'll see if I can find some reefers around me to contribute some of their coraline to seed my tank.
I seriously doubt it's the light

Back