Leonardo's Office Reef

Today I added a shallow Sandbed to the refugium and made the overflow fail-safe (made a guard for the algae).

Leonardo

Great setup Leonardo! Cant wait to see how it will look in a few month.

Marten :)

P.S.: What kind of algae is that?

Last edited:
Thanks Marten!

It is a species of Caulerpa, I believe Caulerpa Prolifera. It came from the Refugium of Robert (TOTM 03-2014).

The algae-bed is already colonized with a lot of different species of copepods as you can see in the video below.

Leonardo

In my experience Convicts almost eat anything, including any algae. They are the most active grazing tangs I ever kept and will remove (almost) any algae.

Leonardo

Convicts are a neat tang for a reef. I had one for two years and it was a fantastic little fish, but it jumped out of my 120 and I never replaced it as I was beginning to see aggression between it a medium sized purple tang and my tomini tang.

IIRC, they are either the smallest or the 2nd smallest of the acanthurus tangs, and are among the more docile of acanthurus.

Yes, most of the corals have been transferred to the future frag tank.
The system is cycling really well. Not many algae and a lot of pods already. SPS and LPS are already doing really well.

Some Friday night pics.

I'm currently debating if I will use a Ca-reactor or a 2-part system on these tanks. I used both in the past, and really liked them both for their own reasons.
2 Part is really accurate, reliable and has a low setup cost.

On the other hand, a Ca-reactor can be reliable also when set up properly, but can be a bit less accurate to dial in.
Initial costs are higher, but lower in the long run and it requires less maintenance (depending on the reactor)

Maybe you will think, why even considering 2-part in a large reef? Due to my work, I have accesses to very pure salts, for a reasonable price.

Many large reefs over here in Europe use a 2-part system (balling-light) on large reefs also: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aquarium

What would you guys do?

Leonardo

Nice tank!!!

Why do not use both! Ca-reactor like the primary source and do the adjustments with 2-parts or balling?

I think large reefs tanks should use reactor because the salts's consume in the future and with the tank full of SPS become unsupportable.

...and yes we see many large tanks still with 2-Parts or Balling Light Method but here in Portugal since last year we start to see many hobbiest starting to go back to reactors. I'm talking about 1000L plus...

Last edited:
Nice corals Leo!

I'm using a two part system, for now balling light, but I'm planing to switch to Aquaforest system.

Keep us updated on any progress

Flo

In Europe a lot off reefers are start using the Triton method, and you have allready the refugium with macroalgae wits is basic in this method, and best of all! No water change. ;-)

Hi Leonardo, may I ask why did you use sand bed in your frag tank since you have a RDSB already? I am setting up a frag tank as well and also contemplating if I should add sand.

Your set up is just so clean and sleek. I love it!

BTW, Ca reactor has my vote ;)

Thanks for the reactions and tips guys!

I'm leaning towards a Ca-reactor now... But I will build it myself.

s_176.jpg

I will use the DaStaCo controller and pumps etc. but I will build the reactor myself.
I have some experience with acrylic and PVC so I'm confident I can build a MONSTER reactor ;)

I will look into the Triton method, I already use their precise water analysis but haven't really looked into their method yet.

I use a shallow SB in the refugium just to give the pods some extra substrate and hold some more detritus for them to feed on :) I don't have a SB in the frag tank ;)

Some new pics!

Does these have a fancy name ;) ?

This will be a stunner... Just needs some time to develop those colors. Fresh wildcap cut.

Aussie wildcap frag finally branching out :)

Fresh wildcap cut. Hope this one keeps the blues and greens.

Beautiful multi-coloured Bali piece, also new. Red's are a bit hard to see :/

Fat Caulastrea :)

New Mariculture colony. Hope to bring the yellow out some more!

Love the corallite structure of this Staghorn.

Thanks for reading guys :reading:

Leonardo

Thanks for the reactions and tips guys!

I'm leaning towards a Ca-reactor now... But I will build it myself.

s_176.jpg

I will use the DaStaCo controller and pumps etc. but I will build the reactor myself.
I have some experience with acrylic and PVC so I'm confident I can build a MONSTER reactor ;)

I will look into the Triton method, I already use their precise water analysis but haven't really looked into their method yet.

I use a shallow SB in the refugium just to give the pods some extra substrate and hold some more detritus for them to feed on :) I don't have a SB in the frag tank ;)

Great, thanks for the info Leonardo.

I am going to run a Dastaco on my new set up too - I can't build the chambers by myself though lol

Back