Leonardo's Office Reef

Some overview pics...

Fragtank currently filled with my colonies waiting untill the new displaytank arrives :)
6,5 feet full of corals, I have more then I thought :eek1:
Left below the Refugium and right the Quarantaine.

Quarantainetank, also functioning for breeding Trochus snails. ;)

Excellent thread, following!

Any tips on how to build a trochus factory like that? So cool!

So rather than just lurk, here is my attempt to add something of value, take it for what it's worth ;)

I use similar black frag racks on an 8' tank.

One problem I ran into was detritus build up under the racks.

I ended up putting a submersible pump with a pvc spray bar attached to it. The spray bar is under the rack down the center. It pushes detritus to the edges for easier cleanup.

Ah, also, I built the racks to the size of a dipping container. If dipping is required, the racks can be pulled out and dipped all at once.

This works great for zoas, not so sure it would work for your massive colonies.

here is part of the zoa tank if interested, at 17 seconds you can barely see the PVC under the rack:

https://youtu.be/i0mc5PgHh4k

Excellent thread, following!

Any tips on how to build a trochus factory like that? So cool!

So rather than just lurk, here is my attempt to add something of value, take it for what it's worth ;)

I use similar black frag racks on an 8' tank.

One problem I ran into was detritus build up under the racks.

I ended up putting a submersible pump with a pvc spray bar attached to it. The spray bar is under the rack down the center. It pushes detritus to the edges for easier cleanup.

Ah, also, I built the racks to the size of a dipping container. If dipping is required, the racks can be pulled out and dipped all at once.

This works great for zoas, not so sure it would work for your massive colonies.

here is part of the zoa tank if interested, at 17 seconds you can barely see the PVC under the rack:

https://youtu.be/i0mc5PgHh4k

Thanks for your reaction! I don't have any buildup of detritus under the racks, I have very high flow in the grow out tank. I like the idea for dipping the whole racks at once. When the mother colonies move to the showtank I will try it sometime.

I collect small Trochus from the main frag tank and let them grow up separately. Spawning is induced by adding cold(er) water.

Looking very nice Leonardo! Will you be carbon dosing the tank?

Thanks Kevin! I use Tropic Marin Bio-Actif. The saltmix has a carbon source in it. I change 10% weekly. Besides that I don't use a carbon source (yet). The system is already low in nutrients, so I don't need it right now.

Following along

Thanks!

What light tubes?

All ATI tubes.

wow now that´s what i call full!!

Can´t wait to see your new display tank, but this is going to be quite full too ^^

Flo

Haha yes... I will sell some of the colonies, or frag them. I will have a lot more acropora in the future display tank, so I need some room.

Leonardo

fantastic!
i loved all your previous builds, some awesome colonies there...

How does that DaStaCo controller work? i see no pH probe is needed?

fantastic!
i loved all your previous builds, some awesome colonies there...

How does that DaStaCo controller work? i see no pH probe is needed?

Thank you! :) The DaStaCo works with a separate CO2/water mixing chamber. A float switch controls the level of CO2 in that chamber. No pH probe is needed, the water gets fully saturated with CO2. (pH < 5,8) That's why you need a specific reactor media. The ones most used will turn to mush :) Besides that an extra chamber after the reactor is needed to get the pH up a bit.

But.... Using Balling now for the time being, and I really like it. I'm still undecided I guess.

Leo

Thanks for the explanation, but there is a dial to set the alk from what I have seen and interested to see how they get that right.

I was hoping to find a place to order just the controller and pumps because I am making two calcium reactor for myself as well. Where are you ordering from? The manufacturer? Please share when your done! This tank I will follow for sure.

I was hoping to find a place to order just the controller and pumps because I am making two calcium reactor for myself as well. Where are you ordering from? The manufacturer? Please share when your done! This tank I will follow for sure.

I order from the distributor over here. I will share the process of course :)

Leo

Back