Leonardo's Office Reef

Leonardo_

TRC
Team RC
Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I´ve been active in the online reef community, but that doesn't mean I haven't been active at all.
But before I tell you about my new endeavours, I would like to (re)introduce myself and the reefs I kept before.

It all started with Formosa Forest, about 10 years ago. A rimless cube long before rimless and cubes were sexy ;)

After that, I decided to go shallow, super shallow. The Lagoon was the result.

After I moved to a new apartment, I created Apogon Reef.

After a major crash, I rescaped the reef and went for fuzzy SPS, Stylo's and Pocci's. It resulted in Poccilopora Garden. It's still up and running.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, this is almost 10 years of my reefing experience. Finally I have the opportunity to take it to the next level with my new project.

A few months ago I was able to rent an Office, just minutes from where I live. This office has a separate wet-room with all the utilities I need. Drains, waterworks, electricity etc.
Besides the fact that this office is perfect for my school (Biology) tutoring activities and Study/Lab, it's also the perfect place to create a new, large reef system.

I'm able to create a large sump area with Refugium, Frag system, large Sump and, maybe the most important, a Quarantine.
This is all separated from the show tank in a separate room, with all the utilities I need. All the tanks will be connected so it will become one large system.
I have all the room and possibilities to create my ultimate dream reef.

The new system will be build in two phases:

Phase I:

80"x20"x15" Frag Tank
35"x20"x15" Refugium
35"x20"x15" Quarantine

45"x25"X25" Sump

Phase II (~3 months):

70"x32"25" Rimless Showtank

Phase I already started, I've made some (crappy) cellphone pics to share my progress with you all. I'm very exited that I'm able to share the build of this dream that I have for so long with you all. Feel free to share your thoughts, comments etc. with me, it is well appreciated!

I'll update soon with more info and pics of the progress I made so far.

Leonardo

Leonardo, good to see you back on the threads. I have always enjoyed your threads as they are very well thought out and look flawless. I'll be tagging along for this one as well.

Corey

Looking forward to seeing your new project, have been following your threads since the Formosa Forest

Very happy to see you back with a new build. Formosa forest and apogen reef were 2 of my favorite tanks.

Welcome back Leonardo, and congrats on several beautiful tanks, you know I have always admired you work! I am looking forward to seeing this project progress, Congrats!!!
Regards,

So glad you're back. I've done nothing but stalked your threads since I began my reef journey.

One that always sticks out to me, is your Pocci and Stylo tank!

The Formosa Forest is still one of my all time favorite reef tanks. Looking forward to what you have in store :)

Thanks guys :)

Okay, sorry for the bad quality pics, I shot them while working on the office, so they were just some snapshots of the process...
I promise I will bring my DSLR for the future photos ;)

It all started with painting the walls and preparing the floor for the epoxy. Then the floor had 3 layers of epoxy and all the edges were siliconed to make the whole room watertight.

These chairs will be right in front of the future show tank. A perfect place to relax and enjoy the reef :)

dy started with the rockwork for the showtank a few months ago, and I'm still not finished nor satisfied. I only use Real Reef rocks this time.
The risk of any pests in a reef this size doesn't really appeal to me. Besides, using dry rock instead of Live Rock allows me to work for months on the reefscape, getting it just the way I imagined.
I know, it's purple, too purple. But I really love the large plates. You can get in idea of the size in the bottom pic.

Then, the arrival of the tanks, stands and PVC. The office turned into a mess, but for a good reason.
All the metal is powdercoated and the (waterproof) wood was pained several times to match the whole theme (grey).

Some pics of the plumbing, and the light for the system. All tanks will be lit with T5 ATI Sunpower and Powermodules. A UV unit is placed between the quarantaine and the main sump.
Together with a 100 micron filtersock and a slow flow through the UV unit no AEFW can pass (at least, that's the idea).
A clear section of acrylic right after the UV unit allows me to visually check if the unit is in function.

When all the building, painting and plumbing was done, the system was rinsed twice with tap water and table salt.
Reason for that is that I want to get rid of any impurities in the silicone, glass, PVC and glue before I fill it with pristine RO water.

A proper ventilation exhaust was placed to get rid of the heat and humidity that could build up.

Here you can see the Return Pump, Refugium (left) and Quarantine (right).
A white plate of glass is covering the first section of the sump.

And the last picture brings me to the present, filling the tank with RO water. The 5 stage Vertex RO unit will be placed right above the newly installed sink.

Excuse me again for the crappy pics. Tomorrow the tank will be filled with RO, and I can add salt and seed the tank with some rocks and bacteria :)

Leonardo

Last edited:
Specs:

80"x20"x15" Frag Tank

* ATI Powermodule 8x80 watt (2 ATI Coral+, 2 Blue+ and 4 ABS)
* Jebao RW20
* EggCrate

35"x20"x15" Refugium

* ATI Sunpower 4x 39 Watt All Daylight bulbs
* Walt Smith Refugium Mud
* Remote Deep sand Bed
* Various Algae
* No extra flow besides return
* A lot of Snails and Shrimp

35"x20"x15" Quarantine

* ATI Sunpower 6x39 Watt (3 Blue+/ 3 ABS)
* Tunze Nano Stream 6045

45"x25"X25" Sump

* Bubble King Supermarine 250
* Return pump EHEIM Compact 5000+ (5000L/h)
* Return Pump Show tank EHEIM Compact 3000+ (3000L/h)
* 300 Watt Heater
* 3 Large 100 Micro Filter Bags
* MTK3 Calcium Reactor with Afterburner

70"x32"25" Rimless Showtank

* 10x + 4x T5 ATI Powermodule (14 bulbs)
* 2x Jebao RW20 Flow pumps
* Bare Bottom
* Real Reef Rock Plates+Stones

Back