Let's talk about Ritteri

Mine is always balled up in the morning.. well not everymorning but lots of morning..

Bonsai.. I dont know if that protruding mouth is ALWAYS the case but I have never seen another anemone with a mouth shape like that.

Mine is always balled up in the morning.. well not everymorning but lots of morning..

Bonsai.. I dont know if that protruding mouth is ALWAYS the case but I have never seen another anemone with a mouth shape like that.

My Gigantea get kind of like that at times.

I have seen the mouth pop out like that once in a while on my mag. But never when he is balled up has he done that, or atleast from what I can see as hes only balled up once or twice and its not usually fully like that

Never had any issues with my mag.

First time it split into 3 anemone. 2 large, 1 small.

Second split came from the largest which was 12-14 inches across and it split into 3 anemone's also, also 2 large, 1 small.

Last split was into 2 anemone from the other large one from the initial split about a week after the other split.

Gave 2 to a friend, were crowding eachother and they wont stay off the sps, not fond of the one that kept stinging away on my large efflo colony, only issue I have is they are hard to keep in one location, but maybe that's cuz they were about to split, before that they stayed put very well.

thank you, guys

now im lovin ritteri more than ever after seein so many stunning pix.

but seemingly those lfs's always provide a very limit variety of color

and the balls--still my wost worry--for me, i just have no reasons to be reminded of girls' panties.

Akward... Moving on... my nem, I have had him/her for over six years now and have never had a split. I have read with people getting them to split after 2-3 years. I am not looking for two, I just find it strange that I have not had that happen yet.

Thank all you guys,

so now one more question

how to prevent a ritteri from growing too big or splitting in an aquarium while keeping her healthy?

a healthy mag will grow, and quickly. avoiding direct feeding will help, but many grow quickly regardless. some owners have been force splitting, jury is still out on that though. if it works then at least splitting can be predictable, and controlled.

Akward... Moving on... my nem, I have had him/her for over six years now and have never had a split. I have read with people getting them to split after 2-3 years. I am not looking for two, I just find it strange that I have not had that happen yet.

You can't just tell us you've kept one for six years and not give us your parameters, feeding schedule, lighting, etc...

I wanna know this stuff. :bounce3:

Here are some pictures of my Ritteri, I took them just a few minutes ago. I bought this guy in February of 2005.

My system is 180 gallons. The lighting consists of 2 x 250w metal halide lamps using IceCap Ballasts and Lumenarc III reflectors. The bulbs are Phoenix 250 14k's. I have a Korallin reactor, an AquaMaxx protein skimmer and two vortech MP40s.

In the past, I used two Tunze 6060's and an older Hamilton hood using 250 20k's and an energy hog magnetic ballast. I wrote that information, just to show that switching lighting will not totally affect an anemone. In fact, I have moved my tank and the anemone has been moved 2-3 times.

As for feeding, I used to feed silversides almost daily, but I have stopped that practice and only feed once maybe twice a week. This beast is 18" across.

Let me know if you need more info, I am happy to share it!

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Here are some pictures of my Ritteri, I took them just a few minutes ago. I bought this guy in February of 2005.

My system is 180 gallons. The lighting consists of 2 x 250w metal halide lamps using IceCap Ballasts and Lumenarc III reflectors. The bulbs are Phoenix 250 14k's. I have a Korallin reactor, an AquaMaxx protein skimmer and two vortech MP40s.

In the past, I used two Tunze 6060's and an older Hamilton hood using 250 20k's and an energy hog magnetic ballast. I wrote that information, just to show that switching lighting will not totally affect an anemone. In fact, I have moved my tank and the anemone has been moved 2-3 times.

As for feeding, I used to feed silversides almost daily, but I have stopped that practice and only feed once maybe twice a week. This beast is 18" across.

Let me know if you need more info, I am happy to share it!

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

the nem looks gorgeous!

so have it ever split? if not, how did you manage to do so?

No it has never split, although it would be cool to document something like that. I will say this it has appeard to be creating two halfs, but I think that is due to the position it has on the rock.

The avatar I have is a photo taken of the anemone in 2007.

Thanks for the compliments as well!

Back