Lets talk Coralline algae

I would just get yourself a couple frags with a bit of coraline on them. And then sit back and forget about it. Because in a few months, you'll be fighting the tiny pea-sized spots your glass daily.

+1 to both posts above if I don't clean my glass every day I get dime sized Peices in two days and the mag float don't fix it and I only started off with a plug that was covered

I personally don't care for coralline if its not on a rock... Annoying after a while... My 75g, and then my 80g, grew that stuff like crazy... I can't even explain the growth rate, like Ron, it was unreal... Actually hopin that it doesn't happen again, lol...

I've only heard negative things about Purple up from experienced reefers on RC and elsewhere. It's generally considered to be garbage.

I used it when I first started my 72g and it sent the Ca out of control. I wasn't testing Ca and thought using the purple up at half of what the bottle says shouldn't be too bad. A month later, wondering why my corals were not doing well, began testing and Ca was about 750ppm. And no coraline growth either. Stopped using it then obviously.

Although just to see, on my other tank where Ca was dropping for some reason (no hard or sps corals in the tank) I used some kent or seachem Ca additive which brought it up a little. Then tried the purple up the next time just to see and it brought it up about double what the other additive did (which was about 45ppm higher at the recommended dosage of purple up).

I'm not saying its good or bad, but I wouldn't use it in a tank with corals that depend on consistency.

Back