Lets talk Coralline algae

Greywaczera

I dont know much about Coralline algea and wanted to know more. The in and outs i guess. When should i start seeing it in my tank and what does it look like once it starts to form. Is there anything i can do to make it grow quicker?

I dont know much about Coralline algea and wanted to know more. The in and outs i guess. When should i start seeing it in my tank and what does it look like once it starts to form. Is there anything i can do to make it grow quicker?

If you seed your tank with it from a friend, that helps. Also, you need proper params and light to really kick it off. If you place in the flow, that helps as well. Good luck

There's something called purple -up I've never used it but heard it helps. You shouldn't see it for a couple of months though I'm just now starting to see signs of it and I got my light up in december

I've only heard negative things about Purple up from experienced reefers on RC and elsewhere. It's generally considered to be garbage.

My new tank that I put up... 2 months ago? Almost 3? Is just beginning to show coralline on the overflow. It starts out as very pale pink/purple raindrop-sized circles and goes from there.

Its cool for the first couple months then it gets really annoying have to scrape it off all the glass...if it grew on my rocks and made them nice and purple i'd be excited, but it usually only grows on my glass, lol

Honestly? I don't normally even notice that it's all over my rocks until I rescape or have to remove a rock to catch a fish. It's very gradual and just not that striking, in my experience. Maybe it's the way I scape my tank, though.

I'm no coralline expert but I used to get better coralline with my power compacts than I did with my T5's. lol. So maybe the light from the LEDs is so intense and focused that its a different wave length or spectrum or something don't know really but it may be just an led thing. Some people hate it all over their glass anyway so perhaps it's great news to some lol

I remember reading that bright light discourages coralline. I do tend to get it in the darker areas of my tank first and most heavily.

I cant get coraline to grow in my dt anywhere but on my powerheads but in my frag tank it grows on the overflow tube, the glass, the zoa tiles. Very weird considering they both use the same water and salt but my dt gets water changes much more often than my zoa/frag tank. I dont think lighting has much to do with it either because until i got the led unit that is over my frag tank now i had t5s just like on my dt.

I've only heard negitive things about purple up. They were giving it away at ffm and I passed lol. It'll come with time. Try not to dump any chemicals in your tank that you don't have to. Remember fish swin and breath in that water as do the coral.

It says the only way to get coralline algea is to introduce it into you tank. you need to turn you pumps, skimmer off and breake the corline up, put it in your tank with just powerheads for about an hours and then turn everything back on. the only way to get it into your tank is to put it in from another source

It says the only way to get coralline algea is to introduce it into you tank. you need to turn you pumps, skimmer off and breake the corline up, put it in your tank with just powerheads for about an hours and then turn everything back on. the only way to get it into your tank is to put it in from another source

That is completely bogus...

I've grown coralline from nothing but dry rocks (and all natural rock tiles for that matter), and two cheap t5 bulbs as well as 8 bulb high output t5's... My personal experience tells me differently... Water quality and time is what does it IME...

My 180g, coral'less, dimly lit display is only about 8 weeks old, and I already have small spots of coralline forming... Started with nothing but dry rock and dry aragonite sand...

Last edited:
Did you add any frag plugs or anything small with Caroline in your system at any point Neal mine broke out from a peice the size of a dime :)

It depends... I've had multiple systems the past 6 years... They have all produced it, and have been done differently for the most part... Im not imposing my opinions too harshly I hope, I've jus observed different results in my systems... Kinda drives me nuts when the thoughts are so definitive on one particular idea/aspect, as nothing is set in stone in this hobby...

Back