Let's Talk Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasses...

Hawaiians are the purple and yellow variety (Labroides phthirophagus). Easily the most striking species in the genus IMO.

Exactly.... stunning fish.

Look at the 30 second mark on the video to see the Hawaiian Cleaner that just passed in QT:

Exactly.... stunning fish.

Look at the 30 second mark on the video to see the Hawaiian Cleaner that just passed in QT:

:inlove: Such a beautiful fish. How's it maintaining all of those separate quarantines *and* your 10' reef?

:inlove: Such a beautiful fish. How's it maintaining all of those separate quarantines *and* your 10' reef?

Pretty straight forward. The big tank pretty much runs itself between feedings and cleaning the glass once a week.

Using Stability in the QTs helps push water changes a bit further out. I do them every 3rd day during Prazi treatments. Then maybe one or two others.

Really just feeding and medicating in the QTs and feeding the frag tank.

A friend of mine had one for a year, with large fish. It fed completely on live copepods, not sure if this provided a complete diet however. Unfortunately copepods were unavailable to buy for a while, and the fish died. It didn't go through any treatment, just directly into the DT. I too would like to try one, but slightly worried about keeping it alive. My common cleaner is great, and had no issues!

I think that this may be one of those fish for which a regular QT is a bad idea.
If it was me I would set up a 40B with lots of rock to acclimate and quarantine this fish.
Besides a prophylactic formalin dip I would forgo any other treatments that are not warranted by actual appearance of symptoms.

Also, unless your fish are constantly plagued with crustacean or turbellarian ectoparasites, cleaner wrasses may become quickly a nuisance to the other fish in the tank - at least that was my experience with the only cleaner wrasse I ever tried back in the early 80s.

If you want to have a cleaner fish in the tank I would rather go with one of the "part time" cleaners like blue stripe pipefish, P. springeri (Springer's dottyback) or juvenile angels.

Our Common Cleaner does get in our tank.

90% of the time he's picking at algae/rocks, then when the tangs and triggers give their little stop swimming and tilt motion he comes running.

Back