LFS in Lawton?

lat0403

I'm going over there Saturday. The only one I've ever been to is Fins & Critters to get a chinchilla over 5 years ago. Does anyone know which one is best? I'll probably have time to check them all out, but I wanted to know in case I don't.

I know most of you are from central OK, but I thought somebody might know.

There is Franks on Gore Blvd at about 13th street in a little strip mall with Helm's Jewelry. He used to be solely Saltwater, but now has FW and turtles. His selection is often low and I don't know if he had a shipment in this week. He's predominantly fish, with a small assortment of softies and LPS. Not much in the way of equipment either. F&C is still there and has been rebuilt after a fire that caused a total loss last year. They also predominantly deal in fish with a small assortment of corals (which IMO are over priced) They have some equipment (over priced IMO) but not high end stuff. Personally, I will never buy a fish or coral from them, but you can decide when you see their setups, even though they get some uncommon fish in there. M&M Pets is on the corner of 67th and Cache. They are an all around pet store as well with a small SW section. They have a larger coral selection than the other two most times and are reasonably priced on livestock IMO, although setups and conditions are questionable for coral. They have limited equipment, but again no high end stuff and overpriced IMO.

Frank is the most knowledgeable owner, the other two I would rate as "newbies" if they were to come on this board and try to offer information. I frequent Frank's and get my water from him (the other two don't sell water). Because of his low inventory, I have a forced patience in the hobby :) which has been a good thing. He's very personable and knows all of his regular customers and doesn't mind spending time talking with you.

I know this might not sound very encouraging, but please stop by them all and make your own assessments. I'm in Frank's once a week and I peruse the other two at least once a month just to see any new stuff. Again, I apologize for the jaded comments and they are just my opinions as obviously many people frequent the pet stores here, they are however, the only 3 places that sell SW stuff.

Dave

Thank you! I appreciate the comments, jaded or not. Hopefully I'll have time to visit them all.

I bought all of my equipment online, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it, or if I did find it, I would end up paying more. What I'm really needing right now is live rock and sand. I hope they have it, but if not, I'm going to have to make a trip to OKC. Shipping is way too expensive.

But even if I can't find anything to buy now, it'll be nice to know what they're like for later. You wouldn't happen to know their Saturday hours, would you? I was planning on calling today and didn't have time.

Frank's opens at 10 as does F&C I believe. M&M opens at 0900 or 0930. Frank's usually has sand and rock in. His sand is $1 a lb and rock is usually $6.50-$8.50 depending on the type he has. He'll only be out if has recently setup a new tank for someone. F&C and M&M doesn't usually have a good selection of rock and they only sell carib sea live sand in a bag.

Dave

i agree with dave franks is most helpful got some sand for $1/lb and i also got some reef ruble with some small zoo's on it, to me he is more willing to share knowlege, was in there yesterday frank said he will making an order next thursday or so. M&M sells some nice coral, well they have more on stock and the 2 other stores, also they have more in stock at times. Fins and critters has some nice selections on tanks, if you have troble with any of the locations you can look on yellowpages.com and do a surch lawton zip code is 73505. i know of a guy names josh from altus he got some fish off of me awhile ago.

Stores in Lawton OK

Stores in Lawton OK

M&M is gone now. Franks is gone now. I think we are down to Fins & Critters.
Anyone know of anything else close please let me know

Back