lfs nitrates

ksfishguy

Bought some mushrooms today and though for fun I would test the nitrates in their water. It tested well over 160 was wondering if that is common of a store.

Never been to any lfs were there nitrates were under 350. Most dont care, or want to spend money on water changes. I have always wanted to test water from the place they get there inventory though lol. Least I am not the only one who does this.

Never been to any lfs were there nitrates were under 350. Most dont care, or want to spend money on water changes. I have always wanted to test water from the place they get there inventory though lol. Least I am not the only one who does this.

Im planning on opening my own store later this year and I have wondered about there water also so I will be checking it out when I get my first shipment in.

testing water in the bag once you take the specimen home is like testing toilet water after you dump in it.

yes lfs are pretty well known for having high NO3 but not all. when i worked at one about 2 years ago all of our tanks except live rock tank were about 20. the coral tanks were heavily filtered and "over skimmed". i trained the owners on owning and maintaining these systems as they were still incorporating the same practice as when they opened in the mid 80's. all fish tanks were on same system as coral tanks and frag tanks. i separated them, grabbed more stuff off retail shelves and set them up individually. next thing you know...we were fragging our retail corals, coloration was great, awesome growth etc.....2 years later they have completely exploded in the salt department and have a great name in the local area.

now all this was not due to "ME". all i did was plant the seed and fertilize it. i stopped working there shortly after that as i took a transfer out of state but about a month ago when i stopped by they actually thanked me! i was blown away!

Tell the lfs to set up a macro display tank and sell lots of macro. Connect it to the other displays and the nitrate will drop a good bit. A nice macro display will look like an underwater colorful forest.

Tell the lfs to set up a macro display tank and sell lots of macro. Connect it to the other displays and the nitrate will drop a good bit. A nice macro display will look like an underwater colorful forest.

heck if they can get the chaeto to grow like a weed that's another avenue to sell some stuff, while benefiting the store at the same time.

testing water in the bag once you take the specimen home is like testing toilet water after you dump in it.

^^that. The LFSs around here usually run 40 nitrates. That's not from testing in the bag. Not sure why testing bag water for nitrates would be necessary unless it was just curiosity.

at the lfs nearest me, I recently brought my water to be tested (didn't trust my readings as the nitrates had dropped drastically due to biopellets) and while we were there, we tested their display because I was going to buy a mandarin too. Theirs was under 10 :)

Remember to always test your water as fast as possible. The longer you leave it in the container, the more the bacteria will eat the dissolved and particle food in the water, and the more nutrients will show up on the test.

This is why you can't really mail water samples for testing; the nutrients that they get are not what you sent.

The LFS i buy all my coral from tests at 20 nitrates in their SPS coral holding system which is impressive compared to some i have checked at over 100, that's why we all end up with one or two favorite reef stores i guess........

Does it really matter if you are not contaminating your reef system with LFS water? Most places keep their salinity low as well because it helps the fish.

Does it really matter if you are not contaminating your reef system with LFS water? Most places keep their salinity low as well because it helps the fish.

It matters in the sense that you want to know that the store you're buying from is taking good care of the animals while they are there.
As for salinity, most stores do it to save money. They lucked out in hitting on something that also can be beneficial for the fish.

growing chaeto is great for the lfs that keep there nitrates reasonable but once you start getting into the 100s+ chaeto doesnt grow at a fast rate like it does in the 20-60 range. my lfs fish setup thats in the 3000 gallon range will melt chaeto within a few days, but its nitrates are off the charts

I try my hardest to not get any lfs water into my tank. After dipping and acclimating the coral via drip, I just take the coral and place it in the tank. Never pour lfs water into your system.

Back